Why does upgrade urge public hotspot?

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Why does upgrade urge public hotspot?

Postby pklammer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:46 pm

The upgrade advice on the wiki says,
"If you are upgrading because you have a WPA hotspot at home, you might want to go to a Public Hotspot to connect to the internet for an online upgrade, such as a T-Mobile hotspot or a local libary. "
What is the issue here? Can an upgrade not be done on a home access point?
[Actually, my home access point is still WEP, so maybe this isn't a problem for me at all?]

Re: Why does upgrade urge public hotspot?

Postby franco » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:17 am

If you want to do an upgrade, you need use two files from the internet and boot from a USB drive or you need to do an upgrade from Terminal. The wiki suggestion you mention applies to the latter.

In order to do an upgrade from Terminal , of course, you need to be connected to the internet.

Now this is where the wiki suggeston applies: If you can't connect at home because you have WPA encryption on your router and you are using the older 650 build, then you need to leach off of a neighbor for a few minutes or go to an outside free wireless or T-Mobile hotspot to download the files to your XO.

If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
Support Team

Return to Networking / Internet