Basic, likely dumb internet question

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Basic, likely dumb internet question

Postby mondomanda » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:59 pm

I am able to get online in the sense that the computer offers me a "Disconnect" option so I'm guessing I'm connected. However, once I'm connected, I can't for the life of me figure out how to actually use the internet function. I type a URL in at the top next to the magnifying glass and I can't figure out what button to hit to make the machine actually take me to a webpage - any webpage. I've tried hitting enter, the "x" tab, the circle table - nothing works. Am I doing something obvious wrong? Please help; my frustration level is making me not want to use the laptop at all! Thanks. :oops: :x
mondomanda

Re: Basic, likely dumb internet question

Postby koolkat » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Try hitting the enter key.

It is the universal command for go.
koolkat
Support Team

Postby mondomanda » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:18 pm

I did, multiple times. But maybe I'll try again...
mondomanda

Postby ektoric » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:06 pm

mondomanda wrote:I type a URL in at the top next to the magnifying glass and I can't figure out what button to hit to make the machine actually take me to a webpage

Please check out the Getting Started guild, specifically the getting connected page. I assume that you are in the Neighborhood view when you typed your URL next to the magnifying glass. In the Neighborhood view, that is a place to help you find friends, it is not a web browser.

To view web pages, you need to launch the web browser Activity called Browse. (You can see what Activities are available in the Home view, and launch them from there.)

Once you have Browse up, you can see that it has a "google" screen. Note that you are not yet on the internet. That is just a local launching point. But if you see it, that means you're at the right place! From here, you can type in a google search and hit Enter, or at the top of the screen, you should see the Back, Forward, Loading / Stop, and finally a field to enter a URL.

If you don't see those icons, take a look at the second line. These are the tabs that allow different sets of actions. The Activity tab is related to the Activity sharing, closing, saving it as a journal entry, etc. The Browse tab is related to navigating the web.

Hope that helps!

P.S. Us technophiles make certain assumptions and definitions. We understand that when most people say "internet", they mean "web browsing". When we say internet, we mean connectivity. I think the best analogy (borrowing from "superhighway") might be: to most people, "internet" means driving in a 4 door sedan. To us, internet means the road that connects places. You can use the road in a sedan, an SUV, a school bus, a horse buggy, tricycle, bicycle, unicycle, Red Bull Flugtag, or even just your own two feet. So, while you say "to get connected to the internet" means "being able to go to google/yahoo/msn", to us it means "making sure your house has a paved road" and that's about it. :D
ektoric
Support Team

Postby franco » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:33 am

And to add to what ektoric says, in the Browser activity the page that comes up is the OLPC's version of the Google home page, but is really not connected to google. It is a page built into the OLPC as a file.

To be sure you are on the internet, put anything in the google search bar, like arizona... something that there would obviously be a result, and it should come up with ten search results within several seconds. If you get a page not found error, then you are not on the internet.

Franco
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Return to Networking / Internet