Wireless on XO? HELP!

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Wireless on XO? HELP!

Postby TJOHNSON » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi-

I cannot connect my XO to my wireless internet router. When I follow the instructions given by XO to connect it isn't working. I eventually can see my wireless router (2WIRE, AT&T). I type in my encryption key and it doesn't work. Are my settings off? I don't believe I am completely ignorant, I know how to follow a manual and know how to type in my encryption key, however it is not working. I called AT&T and they told me that when I pulled the drop down "Passphrase" it should not be 128, he said 68 or 60something. I also verified my encryption key. All I really want is to get internet access and am getting extremely frustrated and spending way too much time on this. PLEASE,PLEASE,HELP!!!
Thank you for your help!
TJOHNSON

Re: Wireless on XO? HELP!

Postby TJOHNSON » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:09 am

Me again...wanted to add I tried the HEX drop down several times as suggested with no luck. Wondering if I need to upgrade to the new build. Is this possible with no email access?
TJOHNSON

Postby brisalta » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:29 am

Which build are you using?
Also which 2Wire model are you using?
Last edited by brisalta on Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
brisalta

Postby TJOHNSON » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:32 am

How do I know this? This was passed onto me from a friend. I wasn't given a manual. Please advise.
TJOHNSON

Postby TJOHNSON » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:41 am

Additionally, brisalta, I find it rude that you state "You are more likely to get help if you provide useful information" . I am not a tech expert just a mom trying to help her daughter connect her computer to the internet. I'm not completely aware of what the "useful information" is. I am doing my best to provide all that I know and appreciate help from those kind people out there that are willing to help me. Thank you
TJOHNSON

Postby brisalta » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:49 am

TJOHNSON wrote:Additionally, brisalta, I find it rude that you state "You are more likely to get help if you provide useful information" . I am not a tech expert just a mom trying to help her daughter connect her computer to the internet. I'm not completely aware of what the "useful information" is. I am doing my best to provide all that I know and appreciate help from those kind people out there that are willing to help me. Thank you

You are the rude one. I did not have to offer to help you.
brisalta

Postby TJOHNSON » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:48 am

Brisalta it's interesting how you can REPLY calling me rude only after editing your rude reply. So very uncool. Anyway, for any cool people willing to help me my 2WIRE is a 1701HG. My XO has a purple X and a blue O. Not sure if this helps but I am just doing my best. How can I figure out which build I am using? I would truly appreciate some tips. Thank you!
TJOHNSON

Postby koolkat » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Step 1: Upgrade to build 656 (search the wiki for how to update)
Step 2: change the channel on the router to 1,6 or 11
Step 3: It should work now unless you need to downgrade the encryption level to WEP or something else just test stuff and see what works.

-Koolkat
koolkat
Support Team

Postby brisalta » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:23 pm

TJOHNSON wrote:Brisalta it's interesting how you can REPLY calling me rude only after editing your rude reply. So very uncool. Anyway, for any cool people willing to help me my 2WIRE is a 1701HG. My XO has a purple X and a blue O. Not sure if this helps but I am just doing my best. How can I figure out which build I am using? I would truly appreciate some tips. Thank you!

Well this statement of yours just proves to me you are extremely rude! I edited out the reasonable statement asking for more information after I sent my last response. I did that as you seem to take umbrage at some one trying to help you asking you for more information!!!
brisalta

Postby TJOHNSON » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:25 pm

Koolkat-

Thank you very much. You are very Kool! How do I change the channel on my router? I'm pretty new to this. Thank you very much!
TJOHNSON

Postby cuprum » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:39 am

TJOHNSON wrote:How do I know this? This was passed onto me from a friend. I wasn't given a manual. Please advise.

To see your build number look here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_check_ ... e_versions

Just do "step 1", where it says "hit ctrl-alt-F2".

Sorry I can't help with the actual question.
cuprum

Return to Networking / Internet