BASIC USER...CANNOT CONNECT. Please help

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

BASIC USER...CANNOT CONNECT. Please help

Postby TJOHNSON » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:32 am

Hi-

I cannot connect my XO to my wireless internet router. When I follow the instructions given by XO to connect it isn't working. I eventually can see my wireless router (1701HG 2WIRE, AT&T) in the neighboorhood. I type in my encryption key and it doesn't work. Are my settings off? I don't believe I am completely ignorant, I know how to follow a manual and know how to type in my encryption key, however it is not working. I called AT&T and they told me that when I pulled the drop down "Passphrase" it should not be 128, he said 68 or 60something. I also verified my encryption key. I tried the HEX drop down several times as suggested with no luck. Wondering if I need to upgrade to the new build. Is this possible with no internet access? I have no idea how to do this.
Please help me! I'm desperate. THANK YOU
TJOHNSON

Re: BASIC USER...CANNOT CONNECT. Please help

Postby ektoric » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 am

Unfortunately, these 2wire things have been an issue for many users. Some quick questions:
# What encryption mode is the router set to? WEP-40 (WEP-64), WEP-128, WPA, WPA2?
# How many digits is your key?
# Does the key you're typging in consist of numbers 0-9 and letters a-f only? Or do they contain other characters?

My approach would like to be for us to determine what your environment really is, then see if we can make the XO speak in that tongue. If we can't do it in the sugar interface, we can attempt to hack in the key into the network config file and see if it will read it straight from there. But first things first. We need to understand what environment we are in =)
ektoric
Support Team

Return to Networking / Internet