Using Fon network with OLPC XO laptop

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Using Fon network with OLPC XO laptop

Postby RevFelixBlackCat » Sat May 10, 2008 11:58 pm

Hello. I've posted this on the Fon boards, and I'm posting it here, too...

Hello. I have an OLPC laptop (the XO) that I can't seem to get to work with the Fon networks. Apparently, the OLPC has had problems with WPA encryption, and I tried upgrading the system (to build 653), as well as some of the suggestions on the OLPC boards, but to no avail.

However, I don't think that's the whole problem, since I seem to have a problem even getting the XO to "see" my Fon networks at all, even the public one, but I can see them with other machines. When it does, it's only after I've left it running for a good long while (maybe ~10-15 minutes or so), and, even then, it can't seem to connect, even to the public one. When I try to connect to my private network, it'll ask for the key, but it still won't connect.

Even if I couldn't get the XO to work with WPA, I'd settle for being able to connect to my public network, especially since the XO doesn't get used very often. I had no problems connecting with my previous router, which I had set to use WEP encryption, mainly so I could use my old Jornada 720 with it. I don't use that much anymore, especially after I got my Eee PC. I have no problems using my Linux-based Eee with either of my Fon networks, and the XO is also Linux-based, so I don't think that's the problem.

So, I was wondering, do any other Foneros have experience using the XO with Fon networks, either public or private? If so, can you give me some pointers? I'll probably post this on the XO boards as well, to see if anyone there can help.

Would it help if I changed my Fonera+'s settings to use WEP? I'd prefer to use the stronger WPA encryption, though. (I think I could change those settings, at least -- I haven't tried to mess with any of my Fonera+'s settings, though, especially since I've hooked it up only recently.) However, as I said before, I'm having trouble with the public network, too, which shouldn't be encrypted, so something tells me that that wouldn't help much.
RevFelixBlackCat

Re: Using Fon network with OLPC XO laptop

Postby Shiseiji » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:57 pm

LOL, I am still trying to get my Fon up and running. I will watch this thread to see if either of us have any luck. Did you use the hack on your Fon?
Ron
Shiseiji

Postby RevFelixBlackCat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Shiseiji wrote:LOL, I am still trying to get my Fon up and running. I will watch this thread to see if either of us have any luck. Did you use the hack on your Fon?

Um, hack? I'm not aware of any "hack."

As for general setup of the Fon router, I've found that you have to be a little patient with it -- just let it run and do its thing, and it should set itself up after a while. You might have to be a little patient if your having connection problems later, as it'll go through a procedure to re-configure its software.

I'm wondering if, perhaps, this problem could be resolved if I could reset the XO to its original state and start over? Over on the Fon boards, I got responses from someone who said he could connect to his public network just fine (but not the private one), and could see them both in his neighborhood display. Is there a way of resetting to the factory settings, or some sort of recovery disc or something along those lines that I could use to try starting over from scratch, and seeing if that works?
RevFelixBlackCat

Postby RevFelixBlackCat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:31 pm

OK, I searched the forum and found a few posts explaining how to do a restore, so I think I might try that later and see how it goes. I'll post my results when I do ...
RevFelixBlackCat

Postby RevFelixBlackCat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:36 pm

RevFelixBlackCat wrote:As for general setup of the Fon router, I've found that you have to be a little patient with it -- just let it run and do its thing, and it should set itself up after a while. You might have to be a little patient if your having connection problems later, as it'll go through a procedure to re-configure its software.

Just to be more clear, I meant in the second sentence that, if you have connection problems after you've got your Fon router set up, and you need to reset the router, it might take a little time for it to fully reset and re-establish the networks. At least, it takes longer than my previous Netgear router did. I think this is because of the software & settings that the Fon router must configure to establish both the public and the private network via the same router.
RevFelixBlackCat

Postby Shiseiji » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:55 pm

I loaded the newer software version right after I got my XO so I could use my WEP. Unlike some others, I haven't had any problems logging on to my wireless system after that, or on to the wiFi at Starbucks. I figured what the heck, and didn't try to make any kind of a back-up. It is pretty easy to set up an SD or USB boot so you could put the upgraded software on either one of those if you wanted to be careful.

As for the Fon, I am beginning to wonder if it is an issue with Cox. I get the network up but as soon as it tries to let the Fon "Home" know it is there, it drops off. I read the Fon sets its self to use a Fon DNS so that might be the conflict I am having. The hack for the Fon changes that and adds a different set of administrator setting. I bet I have cold reset my Fon at least a half-dozen times, and even got a new one. When the new one bombed I figued I have ISP issues. Here is he link for the hack:

http://trac.freewlan.info/wiki/Document ... stallation

And a Fon blog by a big time supporter of the Fon English board.
http://elfonblog.fondoo.net/

Ron
Ron
Shiseiji

Postby RevFelixBlackCat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:01 pm

Shiseiji wrote:
As for the Fon, I am beginning to wonder if it is an issue with Cox. I get the network up but as soon as it tries to let the Fon "Home" know it is there, it drops off. I read the Fon sets its self to use a Fon DNS so that might be the conflict I am having. The hack for the Fon changes that and adds a different set of administrator setting. I bet I have cold reset my Fon at least a half-dozen times, and even got a new one. When the new one bombed I figued I have ISP issues. Here is he link for the hack:

http://trac.freewlan.info/wiki/Document ... stallation

And a Fon blog by a big time supporter of the Fon English board.
http://elfonblog.fondoo.net/

Ron

Wow! It sounds like I was lucky that my Fonera+ worked with my Charter cable internet just fine! (I presume that Cox is your broadband ISP, as I'm not familiar with them -- they must not be in my area...)
RevFelixBlackCat

Postby RevFelixBlackCat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:08 am

SUCCESS!! :D

I restored / upgraded the system completely using the method on this page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activated_Upgrade

Now, my XO sees both my public "FON_AP" network and my private "MyPlace" network. I can use the public network just fine once I open a browser window and log in on the Fon site. I tried MyPlace, too, although I didn't really expect it to work, and it didn't. I suspect that that's a problem with the WPA encryption on the private network. Not a big deal. as this machine doesn't get used terribly often. I'd rather be able to connect w/o having to log in on a website. Oh, well.

So, I suspect that the problem was some sort of corrupted file(s) associated with the wifi that was preventing the XO from seeing my networks. Either that, or, since this is actually the most recent stable update / upgrade, perhaps it was a problem that was resolved in the updated version of the OS.

Anyhoo, it's good to have my XO connected again! :mrgreen:
RevFelixBlackCat

Postby dje2042 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:42 am

I have not had any issues with my XO seeing my Fon public network. Of course you have to log into Fon to get on the internet.
It sometimes loses the code to sign on automatically to the private one, but it connects after I re-enter the code.
I can connect to my secure home network without any problems. All 3 show up on the neighborhood page. The XO seems to remember which network I last used for access and connects to it. This is the time when it sometimes loses the code to the private Fon and I have to re-enter it. I sometimes have to re-enter the code more than once.
dje2042

Postby RevFelixBlackCat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:29 pm

dje2042 wrote:I have not had any issues with my XO seeing my Fon public network. Of course you have to log into Fon to get on the internet.
It sometimes loses the code to sign on automatically to the private one, but it connects after I re-enter the code.
I can connect to my secure home network without any problems. All 3 show up on the neighborhood page. The XO seems to remember which network I last used for access and connects to it. This is the time when it sometimes loses the code to the private Fon and I have to re-enter it. I sometimes have to re-enter the code more than once.

"All 3"? OK, I'm kinda confused -- do you have your Fon router connected to another router, so that you have one signal from that router, plus the two signals from the Fonera? Maybe you just have the regular Fonero, which doesn't have a jack to allow for a wired connection? (That's why I got the Fonera+, so I wouldn't have to piggyback routers in order to have a wired connection.)

Also, I was wondering if you used one of the tweaks on this forum for making the XO work with WPA, or if yours worked "out of the box"? Personally, since I've now gotten it to form with the public network, and I don't use the XO heavily, I decided I might as well just settle for that, but, if you've had success with one of those tweaks, perhaps I'll try it...
RevFelixBlackCat

Postby dje2042 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:05 am

Sorry if I confused you. I have a netgear wireless router and have the fonera plugged into it. I spoke too soon about using My PLace to connect to the internet. I can no longer get the fonera to connect using the fonera SN as the code. The XO connects using either my regular netgear wireless signal with its secure code or the public fonera signal. I really don't need to have 3 ways to connect to the internet with the XO. I was just a matter of checking it all out....
dje2042

Return to Networking / Internet