CANNOT CONNECT!

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

CANNOT CONNECT!

Postby SLNT34 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:05 pm

I don't mean to sound redundant, but I recently got my labtop and cannot figure out how to connect. I have read through numerous posts regarding this issue and still no help. I have a wireless network at my home (Belkin). I input the wireless code (which happen to be all numbers) and it won't connect. Now, I know that it should be a number and letter combination, so therefore could it be converted to that format? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how do you control the volume. Actually, where is it located?

(By the way this is a repost)

:|
SLNT34

Re: CANNOT CONNECT!

Postby ektoric » Thu May 22, 2008 8:29 pm

The best chance of success is if you know the following information:
* Is your Belkin access point set up as WEP or WPA security?
** Is it WEP40 (WEP64) or WEP128
** Are you using a passphrase or a key?
** Is your WEP set up as Open or Shared?
* What version of OS are you running? (some versions had issues with passphrases)
* What is the model of your Belkin (some have known issues).

If you don't know any of these answers, the only thing to do would be to just trial and error and enter in your key to all the combinations of WEP40/WEP128/WPA/WPA2, phrase/hex, open/shared.

If it's all numbers, is it 10 digits, 26 digits, or some other number of digits?
# If it's 10, there's a good chance it's WEP40 + hex + (try open or shared).
# If it's 26, there's a good chance it's WEP26 + hex + (try open or shared).
# If it's anything else, there's a good chance its WPA2 passphrase.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby ektoric » Fri May 30, 2008 11:52 am

(Cross-referenced from viewtopic.php?f=2&t=150577)
SLNT34 wrote:Ok, then here's my next question, in the event if I am in a location that requires a password, then where am I suppose to get the password....is it given to me through the reference number or email or do I have to request one? I'm sure this is simple to figure out (other wise I won't be asking), but since I'm new to this type of computer, I'm lost! (LOL)

Unfortunately, I don't have enough data to make a suggestion. Please provide more information. Specifically, the more information you can provide about what you are trying to do, and (perhaps not in this case) what error messages you are seeing. The more detailed the better.
SLNT34 wrote:in the event if I am in a location that requires a password, then where am I suppose to get the password....

I'm afraid that is waaaay too vague. There are incredibly way too may paths that require a password. Please help us be more specific.

I can make assumptions, but my assumptions can be wildly off the mark, and that doesn't help either of us =)

Assumption: You are trying to connect to a T-Mobile Hotspot
Assumption: You got an XO through G1G1 and would like to take advantage of T-Mobile's offering of 1 year's wireless access.

Given those assumptions, these are the things you need:
* A computer that is already connected to the internet.
* A location you can go to with your XO with a T-Mobile hotspot.
* Your Order Reference Number. Mine was a 10 digit number, 700000xxxx
* An email address.

Given those assumptions, this is what you need to do:
* From your connected computer, go to http://laptopgiving.org/pin
* Go to the link directed by the "T-Mobile HotSpot" section.
* Supply your Order Reference Number and your email address.
* -- Wait for an email from T-Mobile or OLPC Customer Care
** The email will provide you a PIN for each XO you bought with that reference number
** The email will also provide you with a link to T-Mobile on how to register that PIN.
* Proceed to the link directed by the email, enter your PIN, and fill out T-Mobile forums.
* The T-Mobile forums will eventually direct you to choose a username and password.
** These are your T-Mobile username / passwords.

* From your XO laptop, go to a location with a T-Mobile hotspot.
* Go to the Neighborhood View, an click on the T-Mobile Hotspot circle.
** Wait until the border of that circle turns white.
** If it doesn't, and starts cycling through other dots, please repeat. Sometimes it takes more than once to connect.
* Once the border has turned white, go to the Home View and start the Browse activity.
* Go to any page, e.g. perform a random google search.
** You will be redirected to a T-Mobile sign-on page.
* Enter your T-Mobile username / password

You are now connected to the internet and able to connect to other sites.
Last edited by ektoric on Fri May 30, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby ektoric » Fri May 30, 2008 11:58 am

Also, were you able to resolve your first problem? If so, please describe how the problem was solved. This being a community forum, everyone learns from everyone else. By posting how you got yours to work, you are helping countless other people who had your same problem try your solution.

At the very least, it lets the people helping you know that you got squared away =)
ektoric
Support Team

Postby ektoric » Fri May 30, 2008 12:08 pm

SLNT34 wrote:Also, how do you control the volume. Actually, where is it located?

Check the Getting Started webpage: http://www.laptop.org/en/laptop/start/
As you browse the links under Getting Started, you may encounter the Keyboard section. Feel free to explore the callouts that describe certain keyboard features. In the upper right, you will see two keys with icons. One with fewer wave fronts and one with more wavefronts. I believe it was their hope that these looked enough like standard volume up / volume down controls that it would be intuitive that these keys provided volume control.
ektoric
Support Team

Return to Networking / Internet