WPA help. Don't understand in Browse Activity

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

WPA help. Don't understand in Browse Activity

Postby dbeskan » Thu May 22, 2008 6:51 pm

In the Browse activity, navigate to file:///home/olpc/passkey. Highlight the key, copy it to the clipboard with Ctrl-C.

In the above explanation for WPA manual...I don't understand how to pull up the file:/// etc....
I tried typing exactly that: file://..../passkey from the Terminal Activity screen where I first did the /usr/sbin..../passkey. what's the difference between terminal and browse activity? Obviously I know practically nothing about Linux. I was able to upgrade the build to 656 via a usb stick and following explicit directions from Peter who was the Administrator. Guess he's gone?

I am definitely missing something with these commands. Please reply back to me. I gotta get this fixed for my granddaughter. First, it was late for Christmas, then no good wi-fi and I couldn't help because in Florida, not California, and now I have absconded with her XO and am leaving Saturday for a month to TN without my own wi-fi set-up. I want this working for my 8 year old granddaughter and I am not there to help when these big big issues arise. [sob]

Thanks a bunch, debbie in Delray Beach, Florida
dbeskan

Re: WPA help. Don't understand in Browse Activity

Postby ektoric » Thu May 22, 2008 8:39 pm

dbeskan wrote:In the Browse activity, navigate to file:///home/olpc/passkey. Highlight the key, copy it to the clipboard with Ctrl-C.

In the above explanation for WPA manual...I don't understand how to pull up the file:/// etc....
I tried typing exactly that: file://..../passkey from the Terminal Activity screen where I first did the /usr/sbin..../passkey. what's the difference between terminal and browse activity?

Yes, there is a big difference between Terminal and Browse activities. The quoted command did say to Browse activity, and not the Terminal activity. Also, that line goes in the very top of the screen, next to the left/right/stop icons browse, but not the middle of the screen's field (under the Google logo).
ektoric
Support Team

Postby dbeskan » Fri May 23, 2008 7:50 am

ektoric wrote:Yes, there is a big difference between Terminal and Browse activities. The quoted command did say to Browse activity, and not the Terminal activity. Also, that line goes in the very top of the screen, next to the left/right/stop icons browse, but not the middle of the screen's field (under the Google logo).

Thank you very much. My stupidity. I didn't even hover my mouse over the browser that is called "browse." My granddaughter would have known better...not so much indoctrinated into the Windows file system and DOS.

The passkey that I received was way more than 10 or 26 letters and numbers. i did a copy/paste, but at the time, the XO would not once again bring up the passkey pop-up or icons in the neighborhood view. This has been an ongoing nuisance and very flaky. No wi-fis will show or mesh icons. This happens more times than not. I have some of today to fiddle with it and then off to the mountains with no wi-fi router for myself.

i once read where more of the neighborhood could be turned on, showing all connections. My terminology may be off here; can't find again and but that may help with the situation.

again, any help would be appreciated. Thank you, debbie
dbeskan

Postby ektoric » Fri May 23, 2008 11:42 am

dbeskan wrote:but at the time, the XO would not once again bring up the passkey pop-up or icons in the neighborhood view. This has been an ongoing nuisance and very flaky. No wi-fis will show or mesh icons. This happens more times than not.

I have not had this happen on my end, so I don't know what can be done to fix it. The only thing I can think to try is to flush out Network Manager.

1) Bring up a Terminal Activity (the "$_" icon), drop to root
Code: Select all
[olpc@xo-xx-xx-xx ~]$ su

2) Stop network manager
-bash-3.2# /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop

3) Delete the known networks history
-bash-3.2# rm /home/olpc/.sugar/default/nm/networks.cfg

4) Start network manager
-bash-3.2# /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start

5) Go to Network Neighborhood view. Wait a few moments and see if circles start showing up.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby cuprum » Fri May 23, 2008 8:12 pm

I find I have to restart sugar after restarting NetworkManager. Otherwise, clicking on an access point does nothing. I am on build 656.
cuprum

Return to Networking / Internet