Newbie who cannot connect

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Newbie who cannot connect

Postby tmo1113 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:11 am

Hi

First off I have never used linx or whatever OS that the laptop use's so please keep that in mind. Okay I purchased the computer used (don't know if relavant or not) the build is 650 and using an apple time capsule (airport extream) W/ WPA2 security that require's a password 13 characters in lenth (all letters)
Now when i go to the neighborhood first it tries connecting to the mesh newtorks (i dont know if thats a good thing or bad because i dont know what a mesh network is?) while its connecting I dont see my Apple network it then finally connect to the mesh and I have to manually disconnect and then more available networks will "show up" in the neighborhood sometimes my airport shows up and sometimes its nowhere in sight, now when it is there I click on it and a window pops up asking for the encryption key i type it in hit OK but nothing happens I never connect to it.Now one time while trying to connect to the mesh network (automaticly) while it was still blinking my network came up and i tried connecting and when i hit OK it seemed like it was trying to connect (different from the other times where nothing happened at all) because both the mesh and my network were blinking. I mentioned this because I think I saw somewhere that when blinking its trying to connect, anyway I'm sorry if this is a silly question but I'm really lost.

Also anyone know how to make it so the computer would be like factory resetted because alot of the previous owners stuff and info. is still on the machine.

Thanks, Teddy
tmo1113

Re: Newbie who cannot connect

Postby cuprum » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:11 am

yup, it's relevant. build 650 did not support WPA.

There's instructions for a "activated upgrade" that promise to wipe out everything on the laptop.

Haven't tried it so you'll want to wait to see if anyone else corrects my post.

As for learning linux... I don't know. http://linux.about.com looks as good as any.

Edit: might I suggest build 656 as build 703 comes with no activities.
Last edited by cuprum on Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cuprum

Postby tmo1113 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:33 pm

cuprum wrote:build 650 did not support WPA.

So does the latest build (703 I think?) support WPA ?
tmo1113

Postby koolkat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Yes everything past 656 supports WPA. Be sure to upgrade ASAP as it is also possible to brick the laptop if you aren't running an updated version of the firmware.

-Koolkat
koolkat
Support Team

Postby tmo1113 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Okay I updated to build 703 (verified) and I still have the same problem as before I go to the neighborhood and see the flashing circle for mesh network 1 then it has the white circle around the mesh network about a min. later I've tried connecting before, during, and after the mesh network connects but still nothing, I even tired dissconnecting the mesh network manually but its seem to automacticly "bounce" around and try to connect to all the mesh networks.Again I'm trying to connect to my Apple Time Capsule (airport Extreme) its WPA2 with a password 13 characters in lenth (all letters).

Thanks, Teddy
tmo1113

Postby koolkat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:11 pm

Make sure you are broadcasting on channel 1,6 or 11 from your wireless router.

After that I am not going to be much help. I don't use mac products ever, so I don't know the intricacies of using an airport extreme.

-Koolkat
koolkat
Support Team

Postby tmo1113 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:44 pm

koolkat wrote:Make sure you are broadcasting on channel 1,6 or 11 from your wireless router.

How would I do this?
tmo1113

Postby koolkat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:21 pm

On my router I go into the configuration page (192.168.0.1) probably different for yours. and there is a setting for channel. Usually it is set to automatic, but again on an airport router I have no idea. Mac stuff works well with other mac stuff and thats about it. It works great with all of the mac stuff, but you are stuck buying macs for the rest of your life.

-Koolkat

(I have a BT wireless home router and I am able to connect, both in ubuntu and native sugar. I needed to set it to WPA and set the broadcast channel to 6, other than thet it just worked well once I remembered the password I had set it to that is)
koolkat
Support Team

Postby cuprum » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:39 am

I don't have a solution either. I can only suggest you turn WPA off just to see if that is where the problem is.

Someone mentioned WPA Enterprise is not supported.
cuprum

Return to Networking / Internet