Where is networks.cfg in build 703? Can't connect

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Where is networks.cfg in build 703? Can't connect

Postby quercus » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:16 pm

Hi,

I've had my xo laptop for several months now and I'm determined to connect to the internet! I have a hidden SSID, I use WEP and I'm using build 703.

Actually, I'm able to connect to the Internet by entering my SSID and passkey in Terminal. But each time I turn on my laptop I have to do that. From reading this forum, and other sites online, it looks like I should be able to make edits to my networks.cfg file so it will keep my SSID and passkey info.

However, I can't find networks.cfg.

From reading this forum, it sounds like it should be located here:

/home/olpc/.sugar/default/nm/networks.cfg

However, I looked using Browser and there is no /default under .sugar.

I've been trying to learn bash commands and did a search in terminal with "find network" with no quotes and the file was not found (No such file or directory).

So, does networks.cfg exist in build 703? Is it located somewhere else?

Also, once I find it I'll need some coaching on how to edit it :)

Thanks in advance for your help.
quercus

Re: Where is networks.cfg in build 703? Can't connect

Postby cuprum » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:49 pm

I don't know where it is, but this command searches the current directory and its subdirectories.

Code: Select all
find . -name networks.cfg

find is not, technically speaking, a bash command because it is not built in to bash.
cuprum

Postby quercus » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks. I'm still learning these commands.

I was able to find networks.cfg, right where it should be.

I deleted it and then rebooted. Then I entered my SSID and passkey and was able to get online.

Then I rebooted.

But once again my information was not saved and I had to re-enter my info to get online again.

How can I get my XO to save my SSID and passkey?
quercus

Postby quercus » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:33 pm

From reading this forum I saw that you can edit files using Nano. So I used Nano to open networks.cfg.

And it's empty.

Nano said it has zero lines. So there was nothing to edit.

This has to be one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had with a computer. Makes Windows looks easy!

Is there any way to get the OLPC to keep my WiFi connection info? I see lots of people asking this question on the forums and no clear answers about how to do.
quercus

Postby cuprum » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:38 am

quercus wrote:Is there any way to get the OLPC to keep my WiFi connection info? I see lots of people asking this question on the forums and no clear answers about how to do.

I'd written a long reply when I suddenly realized I didn't understand your first message. Sorry. Your networks.cfg file is empty because you connect without using the usual methods. Worse, it looks like NetworkManager doesn't support hidden AP. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone else has got it working.

What I have done is to put the commands in a file so I don't have to type them every time. This is called "shell scripting", but a more experienced python programmer would probably do it in python.

It works, sort of. I often have to run my shell script more than once.

1. become root, start nano,
  2. edit: I mean, become root using the "su -" command.
  3. enter the code below. Use you own iwconfig commands, not the one in the example
  4. save to a file with a nice short name you don't mind typing. I use "conn".
  5. now, type "sh conn" from terminal as root.
Code: Select all

#! /bin/sh
service NetworkManager stop
iwconfig eth0 essid quercus
sleep 2
dhclient -1 eth0

Last edited by cuprum on Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
cuprum

Postby quercus » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. It didn't work.

I was unable to create it in the root directory. It said I didn't have permission to save it there.

So I created it in Activities.

When I ran it I got a whole page full of error messages. Most of the involved my being unable to remove things or permissions not found or commands not found.

Would it work if I was able to create it in root? Do I need to do something so I have permission to save it to root?

Thanks!
quercus

Postby quercus » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:03 pm

OK, I tweaked it some more and then I rebooted and it worked.

Yeah!

Thanks so much for this!!!!!!!!!
quercus

Postby carlsonloggie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:36 am

I'm not a Linux guru, and none of this makes any sense. How, then, do we expect children in third world countries to do this with no training, no second [Windows] computer to search the boards, and with minimal internet infrastructure? Since I've run Linux from a CD on my PC and had no problems connecting, the problem is with Sugar. If wireless is the only method of connecting to the internet, then it should work, all the time, without having to manually reconfigure the laptop. I reloaded the OS on my OLPC to build 703, but it will not connect, and has not connected for months. I enjoy a challenge, but this is ridiculous.
carlsonloggie

Return to Networking / Internet