lost AP

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

lost AP

Postby chricton » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:44 am

After MANY months of working fine, the XO no longer "sees" my AP. Meaning I don't see a dot in the neighborhood view for it, although I do see the three mesh dots. The last time this worked was two days ago when I checked the weather via the browser.

I'm reasonably certain the AP is still functioning as I am using it now to enter this post.

Any ideas out there as to the cause for this?

I am running build 656 (and was actually goint to update to 703 when I found the XO could not now connect).
chricton

Re: lost AP

Postby chricton » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:05 am

An Update:
I found that somehow the channel had been changed in the iwconfig settings. I changed that to match my AP and now I see "The Dot". And a new networks.cfg is created with the correct ESSID, but no key. However, I am not prompted for the key when I attempt to connect. Doesn't XO check for the key value in networks.cfg or is there a separate flag somewhere that says "key already entered"? For security reasons I would be surprised if I could just edit networks.cfg and enter my key in plain text.
chricton

Re: lost AP

Postby chricton » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:19 am

A Final Update -
After some reboots and removing networks.cfg, I was prompted for my key. After one failed attempt (I forgot to select HEX rather than PASSPHRASE) I am back online.

I am thinking now that the AP selected a new channel rather than an error in the XO. At least I'll check that first next time.

Now for build 703 perhaps .........
chricton

Return to Networking / Internet