how to save wep key

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

how to save wep key

Postby scoot » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Just updated to version 767 from 650. Have Gateway wireless router, able to connect by entering WEP key, but I have to re-enter the key every time the computer is turned back on. I have tried entering: cat/home/olpc/.sugar/default/nm/networks.cfg as directed in other post...
comes up saying file not found. Also , computer won't "shut down" until i have disconnected from wireless network. Anything i can do to make computer remember WEP key?
scoot

Re: how to save wep key

Postby ektoric » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:02 pm

I assume that you have a typo in your cut & paste (?) There needs to be a space between the "cat" command and the filepath
Code: Select all
cat /home/olpc/.sugar/default/nm/networks.cfg

Another possibility is that there is a permissions problem that is preventing you from editing that file. Please post the outputs of these two commands:
Code: Select all
ls -l /home/olpc/.sugar/default/nm
ls -ld /home/olpc/.sugar/default/nm

That should tell us if the directory and file is owned by by the user olpc/olpc, and if it has permissions to write to that director and/or file.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby scoot » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:24 pm

O.K. it was the missing space after cat. So I typed rm /home/olcp/.sugar/default/nm/networks.cfg and rebooted as suggested in the other post, and now my WEP key doesn't work to access the wireless router. Ughh... what now?
scoot

Postby ektoric » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Unfortunately wireless (in general) can be a little temperamental. I would ask to make sure you have the right key / passphrase, but since in the first post you say that you've been entering this in every time (and getting it to work), I will assume that your security settings are well known to you, and that you know that your combination of security settings and key works for your access point. So, the only thing left is to cold boot the unit (power off completely) and try again.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby MorallyBankrupt » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:25 am

----EDIT
Ok, here is some more interesting information. I have tried sucessfully a couple of times to "cancel" the authentacation request and let it go ahead and try to connect to every network (mesh, access point...) Once it is done trying, if I click connect on my wireless acess point it connects without asking for the WEP passkey. Could it be that somehow I accidentally set up a password for a school mesh network (of which there is none) and it is mistakenly trying to connect to my WAP as the MESH? Does that even make sense?
Thanks,
MB
-----END EDIT

Unfortunately I am having the same initial problem of having to re-enter the passcode. I just bought a XO for my daughter (7 years old) and I am trying to configure it before christmas. I upgraded to build 767 and I can connect to my wireless network, but I have to re-enter the 26 character HEX WEP key every time I turn the XO on. I have tried removing the config file to no avail. I have also tried to config. WEP manually through the terminal as well as editing the config file with nano but neither has worked. Any ideas? I am at a loss.

Thanks,
MB
MorallyBankrupt

Postby MorallyBankrupt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:04 am

One more thing. I did try to "Register". I later read that this tries to register with a school MESH network. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks,
MB
MorallyBankrupt

Postby ektoric » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Please follow the suggestions above (viewtopic.php?f=1329&t=161564#p574494) and post the output.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby ncarrol » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:46 pm

MorallyBankrupt:

Edit:see this article that appeared since this post:
http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4160.msg28018#msg28018
End Edit

You have upgraded to 767 (8.2.0), I see. So, you can clear the network from Control Panel rather than removing the file "networks.cfg" (althought that may still work). Under the main page incon, there is menu choice of Control Panel. Within this graphic is Network. Network has in its graphic Wireless at top with Reset Network History -- this cleans out the "networks.cfg" file.

Whenever I have reinstalled my software (doing some other stuff), It seems like I always have to putz around to get the WEP connections and key saved. Here are some things I have to do to watch myself to be successful:

Wait until the MESH searches finish before trying to connect to the wireless.
Use upper case letters in key (for my Linksys WAP11). Watch that I do not type the letter O (never a letter O) instead of zero.
Pull down the menu choice 40hex/128bit. There are 26 numbers/letters in my key
Check Ok at bottom of popup window.

I am still unclear if I have to reboot after clearing the network history.
I generally clear history and reboot if a connection fails -- probably not necessary.
Sometimes I have to try several times ( maybe my entries) to get the key to stick -- once it sticks, it stays stuck.

If the connection is successful, you will see an entry in the file "networks.cfg". It will contain your key.
ncarrol

Postby harris » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:12 am

Have tried using WPA instead of WEP?
WPA is better in the long run, WEP is easy to crack.
harris

Postby joshua1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:22 am

Now I know how to save wep key.
joshua1

Postby hassan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks to all of you for discussing such a topic, it’s a great help to me and to lot of people as well. Thanks ektoric for all your solutions.
hassan

Return to Networking / Internet