Apple AirPort Extreme & WEP problems

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Apple AirPort Extreme & WEP problems

Postby Mnemonic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:36 pm

Just got my G1G1 OLPC today.

I have managed to get the OLPC working on my Airport Extreme with both No Security and WPA, but I can't get it working with WEP. I use WEP because my kids play their Nintendo DS's online, and WEP is the only security the DS will work with.

I've Googled and I've searched this forum and I've found the instructions saying to "select Hex" as your input and enter your pass phrase as a hex code to make WEP work, but I don't seem to have that Hex option.

I click my wireless network in the Neighborhood screen.
I am given a small window "Wireless Key Required"
Below the text-entry field is "Encryption Type:" where I am offered Automatic, AES-CCMP, and TKIP.

Here's the info from the "About my XO" screen:

Build #: 767
Sugar: 0.82.1
Firmware: Q2E18

I've run the updates (when I got on with No Security) but otherwise haven't done anything to the system.

Thanks in advance!
Mnemonic

Re: Apple AirPort Extreme & WEP problems

Postby ncarrol » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:19 pm

Start here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity

scroll down to Apple section.

There appears to be different procedure for WPA and WEP.
ncarrol

Postby Mnemonic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:53 pm

Yep. Did that. Which is why I started looking for the "Hex" option that I'm not finding.
Mnemonic

Postby ncarrol » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:23 am

Started looking around at wireless units (about 10) that show on the XO in my apartment complex. When I try to connect, some show the window with the "hex" option and others show a different size window with the "automatic" option. One with the later has the name breeze54g, which I would have normally thought was a linksys 54G. I assume these are a mixture of apple and pc systems.

All my AP's are older Linksys with WEP and they all answer with the "hex" option.

So, this question is over my head --- hope someone else answers. I answered intitially with a resource that I thought you might have missed.

Do you have the wireless unit set up differently with WEP (automatic channel scanning)? Was looking at above reference, section under Verizon FIOS.
ncarrol

Return to Networking / Internet