connecting to secured networks

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

connecting to secured networks

Postby docmonn » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:11 pm

I would like to use the XO at work but have an encrypted network. Though I know the WEP code, I am not able to get to where the XO is even recognizing the network is there. Any ideas why this is happening. It connects to the web automatically on my home network.
docmonn

Re: connecting to secured networks

Postby ncarrol » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:46 am

See: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity

See the section under SSID hidden.

If the access point is configured as hidden, you will have to add it manually. Be aware that the access point should be set to open and that some access points may not be compatible with the XO (search on topic Linksys WRT G54). There is a compatibility table on the wiki .

Even with visible access points, for the first time you will have to go to "neighborhood" and click on icon for the access point and supply the code. You will need to know if WEP, WPA1, or WPA2 is used.
ncarrol

Postby fabiosmith » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 am

Hello everyone.
I just wanted to begin by telling you I appreciate all of your help.
When I lived at home I had a wireless router, which was how I got my internet connection and it worked very well?When i move my aunt's home before some day its not work.How can i get on the wireless network Is it DNS problem or what?
fabiosmith

Postby ncarrol » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:53 am

More details please.

Most likely just locate your aunt's wireless in the neighborhood view and connect. You must know the encryption key for the wireless. Maybe the encryption is different ( WEP to WPA2 ?). There can be a compatibility problem -- see above reference.
ncarrol

Postby amber » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:39 am

I also experienced this kind of problem. It was really hassle to find connection with my XO eventhough there is a wireless internet that was being provided and it seems it doesn't work that well. How could I resolve this?
amber

Postby jeffsmith » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:56 am

Some time it does happens..if you are facing issues even after...setting all up..probably its the time to reset the wifi...look for smart reset buttom at the behind of it...reset it..and reboot....then check and set all setting manually....according to your need. I did it at my time...it worked..again....though i was not sure..what the issue was with it..before.. :roll:
jeffsmith

Postby wlanguide » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:56 am

ncarrol wrote:See: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity

See the section under SSID hidden.

If the access point is configured as hidden, you will have to add it manually. Be aware that the access point should be set to open and that some access points may not be compatible with the XO (search on topic Linksys WRT G54). There is a compatibility table on the wiki .

Even with visible access points, for the first time you will have to go to "neighborhood" and click on icon for the access point and supply the code. You will need to know if WEP, WPA1, or WPA2 is used.

Man you are absolutely right.

Also sometimes MAC addresses are filtered.
wlanguide

Return to Networking / Internet