Common Issue: Wireless Connectivity Questions

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Re: Common Issue: Wireless Connectivity Questions

Postby SusanT » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:29 am

Hmm... Very interesting.
I keep my XO by my chair, plugged in all the time so it's probably as warm as it's going to get. (Currently, it's propped with the handle UP, but I'll try propping it up on a different side.) Maybe it's positional awareness and the excess adhesive have both "gone South" so to speak.

Thanks for the reply. Worth a try.
SusanT

Postby gk2012 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:57 am

Thanks for the tip ncarrol, I'll try it out on mine too later after I finish working. :mrgreen:
gk2012

Postby grant » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:00 am

I cannot get my XO to sign on to my home Lynsys wirelsss system.

I do use a WEP key... but the XO will not sign on anywhere with any system.

How do I fix this? Who can fix this? I think it is defective.
grant

Postby ncarrol » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:20 am

Please supply information about your Linksys model and version (sticker on bottom?). Some Linksys models /firmware have problems. See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity. There is also a list on the wiki of models that work. Loading an alternate firmware is possible. I noticed that the Cornell group in this summer's OPLC Corps used an alternate firmware on its Linksys.

Key to WEP connection is the 26 character key. This will be contained in the encryption web page in the Linksys setup. On the XO, select the key type "Hex (40/128-bit). Remaining problems are probably in the Linksys setup. Temporarily, try no encryption.
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:06 pm

culseg just posted another link about WiFi:

http://en.forum.laptop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=175513#p604993
ncarrol

Postby superimposedmedia » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:02 pm

grant, what version OS are you running? I believe the older systems don't have WEP capabilities. If you click on the "locked" networks, does it ask you for the key?
I'm currently configuring three xos, two for my nieces and one for myself.
myspace.com/superimposedmedia
superimposedmedia

Postby menon.samir » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:05 pm

Hope im not off topic, but my ubuntu-running-sugar laptop connects to WPA perfectly!
menon.samir

Postby dje2042 » Sat May 15, 2010 5:24 pm

I am running build 802 on my G1G1. Connection to my network has been automatic for months. Suddenly, the wireless will not connect to my network that was connecting automatically. To my knowledge, no changes have been made. My preferred network is my FON unsecured router, (connected to my main router) which it sees but will not connect to no matter how many times I click connect. It seems to try to connect and then gives up! It is not seeing all of the metworks that my other laptop sees. My main network router is secured with a WPA2 code, so I don't try to connect to it..

I have confirmed that the radio box is checlked and with the machine off, taken the battery our for several minutes. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
dje2042

Postby ncarrol » Sat May 15, 2010 9:15 pm

First, would like to point to two references:

http://laptop.org/8.2.0/manual/

The manual, in the nework section, has some good guidance.

The details are in:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_connectivity

The first simple thing to try is to reset the Network history (and restart). Make sure you know any security keys for other sites.

The next is to reset your access point / router to factory defaults (make sure you know the parameters to re-enter after the reset) and then re-enter the parameters. There is generally a reset switch somewhere.

These are to assure nothing has become corrupted.

Finally, have you changed anything on you primary router, such as MAC filters ?

More detailed suggestions are in the references.

The wireless test programs are in /sbin and begin with iw* . Run them with the help option. These are general linux programs and not all work on the XO.
ncarrol

Postby dje2042 » Sun May 16, 2010 5:09 am

Thank you for your reply. Ironically, when I started the xo this morning, it connected automatically and seems to work fine. I spent hours rebooting last night and finally gave up. Grrrr, machinery!
dje2042

Postby ncarrol » Sun May 16, 2010 3:32 pm

Remember, that wireless can be jammed. During one week on several days, something tried to communicate with my XO and jammed my wireless connection to my access point (could tell by the network lights on the XO). It had never happened before and has not happened since. I leave my XO on for long periods of time, and my guess is that the XO prevented someone from setting up a new wireless :twisted: .
ncarrol

Postby dje2042 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:37 am

There is certainly an issue somewhere. When I boot up and wait for a connection, the XO continually tries to connect to a mesh. I must click on the preferred wireless connection icon numerous times before it finally connects.

The browser reacts much slower than it used to when connecting to a site. I wonder if the fact that the computer seems to be continually trying to conect to a mesh is making the browser work slower. Is there an easy way to stop/remove the mesh? I do not anticipate ever using mesh to connect with my XO.
dje2042

Postby ncarrol » Sat May 22, 2010 2:53 pm

You can have the XO skip the mesh search:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Network_Configurations

This is not the same as shutting down the mesh.

This contains some useful information:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_Config_Notes

See section "Modify the mesh discovery sequence" which repeats information above.

Also, note that in the "Turn your XO into a sniffer" section there is the command for shutting down the msh0:

ifconfig msh0 down

I have not done this - just pointing to references that may be useful.
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Sat May 22, 2010 4:02 pm

There appears to be a more direct answer:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Mesh_Network_Details

in the "Disabling the Mesh network" section.
ncarrol

Previous

Return to Networking / Internet