Common Issue: Wireless Connectivity Questions

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Common Issue: Wireless Connectivity Questions

Postby mburns » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:32 am

This thread is a work in progress and is kept up to date by the OLPC Support Gang.

This thread is to cover all the useful information about connection to wireless networks, access points, WEP, WPA and other connectivity-related issues with the XO laptop.

Status of wireless on build 650
Normal: OK
WEP: ...hex-password
WPA: BROKEN (See manual method) - Update.1

Related Trac Bugs:
mburns
Support Team

WPA WiFi manual fix procedure

Postby GLOW » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:38 pm

WPA WiFi
manual fix

Q: Why does script have to be loaded from USB device?
I downloaded it directly to the XO and see it in my Journal.
Can I run it? If so, what commands do I enter to do so?

Thanks, I am new to this technology!
GLOW

Re: Common Issue: Wireless Connectivity Questions

Postby matt91 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:30 am

Does build 656 fully implement WPA support?
matt91

Postby ffm » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:22 pm

matt91 wrote:Does build 656 fully implement WPA support?

Yes.
OLPC Support Volunteer
ffm
Support Team

Postby herbert » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:45 pm

ffm wrote:

Yes.

fully? My question is does it allow for the usuage of WPA enterprise.

I was trying to log into my school network, which is WPA 2 Enterprise, but it wouldn't even show up in the neighborhood, despite being non-hidden. We (a physics major, a comp sci major, a math major and myself - the non-tech) spent two hours trying to get it to work. It was entertaining, but we couldn't even get it to acknowledge that the network existed.

H
herbert

Postby ffm » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:04 pm

herbert wrote:
ffm wrote:

Yes.

fully? My question is does it allow for the usuage of WPA enterprise.

I was trying to log into my school network, which is WPA 2 Enterprise, but it wouldn't even show up in the neighborhood, despite being non-hidden. We (a physics major, a comp sci major, a math major and myself - the non-tech) spent two hours trying to get it to work. It was entertaining, but we couldn't even get it to acknowledge that the network existed.

It would seem not.
In any case, you can use "wpa-supplicant", a CLI tool for wifi config.

Please file a bug in our bug tracker and add user "ffm" to the cc list. I'd be interested in this problem as well.
OLPC Support Volunteer
ffm
Support Team

Postby herbert » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:46 pm

ffm wrote:In any case, you can use "wpa-supplicant", a CLI tool for wifi config.

Please file a bug in our bug tracker and add user "ffm" to the cc list. I'd be interested in this problem as well.

Filed.

We did not try using wpa-supplicant. Both the math major (who had arrived an hour late onto the scene) and I (who has never used it before) suggested it. The physics major and the comp sci major vehemently resisted the idea. They seem to have a strong dislike of wpa-supplicant as being incredibly obnoxious to use

H
herbert

Postby solarnomads » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Greetings from SoCal,
Operating build 650: WiFi access ok via my linksys (WEP) router, Starbucks TMobile; Unable to access via "open networks" like at Panera bread (...11b) or others I find in the "neighborhood". Is this normal? thanks...anybody out there in corona,ca? tom
solarnomads

Postby XOaloha » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:29 am

I have a OS 656 & can't browse. I see some wireless connections & sometimes the "circle turns white" but can't browse at all. Very frustrating. I was able to do it for two or three days in middle of February but haven't been able to since. I tried re-installing 656 but it still hasn't helped. HELP!
XOaloha

Postby joeysgram » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:29 am

My grandson has an xo that I recently updated (because of journal disappearing issues). It can get online but only through nearby unsecure connections. It doesn't show the network in my home, which requires a password. I have a linksys modem and a mac time capsule router. Could there be something about that time capsule that is preventing it from being seen? :?:
joeysgram

Postby ReinerB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:38 pm

I can't connect my XO to a secured Wireless Access Point (2Wire 2701HG- G). It uses a Wep 26 digit key. The XO tries to connect and opens a dialog box with the choices between Passphrase, Hex or ASCII each of them either as authentification type open system or shared key. I tried to enter my 26 digit key under all of these combinations. It does not work.

I read http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wireless_Acce ... patibility and http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity and quite a few posts on this Forum. Connectivity is a very complex issue especially for somebody like myself with little technical knowledge and who has been used to Windows.

The 2Wire 2701HG- G is supplied by Sympatico Canada my Internet Provider and I cannot turn the security off. Sympatico Canada does not support connectivity in a Linux environment.

Can somebody explain me how I should use my 26 digit key that works on my Windows XP laptop in the XO wireless key dialog box?

Thanks
ReinerB

Postby tangomike » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:45 pm

When setting up the XO, you definitely need to select pass phrase Hex. You also need to type the letters as capitals, like this: AB5C6D7E... and so on.

I don't know what your security setting is on your access point. If it's WEP then your XO can connect using the XO gui (click on the circle and fill in the blanks). If it's WPA you'll have to do it manually like here http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=2217.0.
tangomike

Postby ReinerB » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I did enter my 26 digit number only key under Hex and authentification type Opens System and it worked.

I thought I already tried out this combination before, but I must have mistyped the key.

Would anybody know how to automate the connection so that I don't have to type the 26 numbers in every time I want to connect to my home access point?
ReinerB

Postby Bike999 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Just set up my network connection. One interesting tidbit... My home AP was using wi-fi channel 9, and my OLPC laptop did not see my home AP at all. Went into my AP web setup, and hard coded it for channel 6, and then it showed up on the OLPC. My home AP is a Cisco 350 using 128 bit WEP.
Bike999

Postby brisalta » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:59 pm

tangomike wrote:When setting up the XO, you definitely need to select pass phrase Hex. You also need to type the letters as capitals, like this: AB5C6D7E... and so on.

I don't know what your security setting is on your access point. If it's WEP then your XO can connect using the XO gui (click on the circle and fill in the blanks). If it's WPA you'll have to do it manually like here http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=2217.0.

I had absolutely no problem configuring my XO for WPA using the GUI interface in build 656. Also I did not use all capitals in my pass phrase! The only time you many need to manually alter the config file is if your wireless access point is set to not broadcast the SSID.
brisalta

Next

Return to Networking / Internet