Common Issue: Wireless Connectivity Questions

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Re: Common Issue: Wireless Connectivity Questions

Postby brisalta » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:02 pm

Bike999 wrote:Just set up my network connection. One interesting tidbit... My home AP was using wi-fi channel 9, and my OLPC laptop did not see my home AP at all. Went into my AP web setup, and hard coded it for channel 6, and then it showed up on the OLPC. My home AP is a Cisco 350 using 128 bit WEP.

The preferred channels 1, 6 and 11 are well documented.
brisalta

Postby ReinerB » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:11 pm

brisalta wrote:The only time you many need to manually alter the config file is if your wireless access point is set to not broadcast the SSID.
[/quote]

What is a SSID? How do I know if my access point does broadcast the SSID? Can I enter the Hexkey in the config file for automatic connection, if yes how?

Thanks
ReinerB

Postby knitterb » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:54 am

Bike999 wrote:Just set up my network connection. One interesting tidbit... My home AP was using wi-fi channel 9, and my OLPC laptop did not see my home AP at all. Went into my AP web setup, and hard coded it for channel 6, and then it showed up on the OLPC. My home AP is a Cisco 350 using 128 bit WEP.

Hmmm, Build 653 worked great, but now Build 656 doesn't even think my wireless network is secure. In the neighborhood view, the circle does not have a lock on it. Furthermore, I *am* prompted for passphrase, and the OK button doesn't become active unless I enter at least 8 characters, this is indicative of the OLPC think my connection is WEP, right?

I'd go back to Build 653, but the touchpad was nearly useless, I'd almsot rather not have wireless than to have a touchpad that jumped all over the place. Very painful!!
knitterb

Postby craigevil » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:17 am

IS there a way to store the wep key? It connects just fine, but it would be nice to not have to enter the key for the wireless at home.
craigevil

Postby ektoric » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:12 am

Quotes from: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1465#p574464
ektoric wrote:It's usually a convention to ask a question by starting a new thread instead of tacking onto an existing thread (unless your issue matches exactly the first person's question).

That way, people giving help can focus on that problem, we don't have tangents that are hard to follow, and the people getting help can follow a "clear" train of thought.

That is probably why there was no response to this message, because this thread would be "inappropriate" to start a question. Consider if everyone started their question in this thread, and everyone attempted to help that person. There would be an entangled web of questions and responses, and nobody would be able to determine who's responding to whom.

Please consider starting a new thread for your question if after searching through the forums yields nothing that matches your specific question. Thanks!
ektoric
Support Team

Postby evansnm » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:38 pm

I have a much more basic question. I work out on the Navajo Reservation where there is no cell phone coverage of any kind, much less wifi. As I understand it, although one of the goals of the program is to give every user Internet access, there must already be access available; the XO doesn't have satellite-access wifi. Am I correct?
evansnm

Postby ncarrol » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Just a reminder, the XO does connect to a standard internet using a USB to ethernet adapter:
http://xoexplosion.com or http://ilovemyxo.com

Satellite internet is available, but relatively expensive ( example: http://www.mybluedish.com starting at $50/mth ).

There are some low cost electronics for internet beaming over 5 to 10 mile unobstructed distances -- I cannot supply specifics -- google search.

XO's do daisy chain over about a 1/4 mile unobstructed distance.

There will soon be pilot projects in a couple of states (Tennesee ? and West Virginia ?) for internet over electrical power lines. The goal is to bring the internet to rural areas at a low cost. IBM is one of the corporate sponsors of the project.
http://www.convergemag.com/story.php?catid=5&storyid=108069
ncarrol

Postby Need Help » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:16 am

I bought the laptop in December 2007 because it was a good thing to do (giving a laptop to some child.) I have since used it twice, each time less than 5 minutes. Now (a year later) I found that the battery cannot hold charge and I cannot connect to the internet at all. My house's wireless has no password so it's not that problem. Somehow, I can get the google page up but each search comes up with an error loading page. I understand that there is supposed to be a new software update. I am not sure if that is the problem although I doubt it. I tried downloading the update to an USB port since the laptop is not connecting. The instructions say I should be downloading two files but the link has 8. Am I supposed just to pick the two or do I download all the files? I also tried reading the forum but some of the language is too technical for me since I am tech moron. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Need Help

Postby ncarrol » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:57 pm

Only two files needed: fs.zip and ?.img (click on two links in):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-Fail_Upgrade
or:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/8.2.0 section with XO not connected to internet.

For router / AP, be aware of the difference between password, passphrase, and encryption key (HEX key).

Look at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wifi_Connectivity

Suggest for your router / AP for very temporary testing:
Set to Channel 1, 6, or 11
Turn on SSID broadcast
Set for Managed or Infrastructure
Set for mode Open (unless it is an Apple Airport)
Disable encryption (WEP, WPA)
Disable any IP address or MAC filtering
Disable router password
(also be aware of any port filtering that may limit any software access to internet)

Most router / AP will have these as the default out of the box or when any reset button is pressed.

In Neighborhood View (wait two minutes until mesh search finishes), click on your router/AP icon and it should connect (no pop menu will occur when the AP encryption is disabled). If you do get a popup menu, it may be asking for a router password. Run Activity Browse and try to connect to : http://yahoo.com .
If you make any significant changes in the parameters on the AP, erase on the XO the network history and reboot (in new software in menu under "X man" icon Control Panel / Network).

If you do not want to very temporarily disable security, try WEP 128 with HEX key (select key 1), and then on XO popup menu use 40/128 hex with entry of key 1 (case sensitive) and Open mode.

Finally, if you cannot connect, try resetting the radio by removing and replacing the battery (the radio stays on even when you power OFF). This should be done with power OFF and charger unplugged.
ncarrol

Postby SusanT » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Just completed reflashing and upgrade to v8.2.0 - Cannot connect to my wireless network.
I'm having problems with the keyboard. Won't let me type more than a few letters and numbers and then it stops.

I saw this suggestion: "try WEP 128 with HEX key (select key 1), and then on XO popup menu use 40/128 hex with entry of key 1 (case sensitive) and Open mode."

Converted my Passphrase to HEX but can't enter the entire HEX key, so I've never been able to connect.
Very, very frustrated right now. I really need this little guy working again, but I'm not a programmer, so a lot of the comments are "beyond me"... :?

Thanks.
SusanT

Postby ncarrol » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Have a few questions about your hardware and what you are seeing:

Did it work before the upgrade? The operation is virtual the same in 8.2 -- just some of the setup has been moved into the Menu's .

First, is your radio on ? (Menu by hovering over X man, Control panel, Network, check mark in box for radio and click on Erase Network History-- click on check mark at top right of screen to save and exit)?

What wireless unit are you using ?
Do you have access to change the options on the wireless box?
Have you tried your wireless router / access point (AP) with all the options indicated and with no encryption (no WEP or WPA) ? Erase Network history on XO if you make any changes on wireless.

What happens when you go to the Neighboorhood view and click on your wireless icon after waiting two minutes (assume you see icon)? Enter the information in any popup menu (select Hex not text/ascii). Icon should flash for about a minute (for first time) and then "( )" should appear around the icon to indicated that it has connected.

Most wireless box software shows the conversion of the passphrase to Hex on a menu page -- have you done it manually ? Generally, you enter a passphrase and the menu generates several keys -- you select one of them to use on the XO. The HEX key should contain 26 characters for the WEP128.

KEYBOARD / TYPING PROBLEM

Have you had the keyboard problem before? There have been numerous reports of sticking CTRL and Shift keys - hard problem to solve.

Does the rest of the software run correctly? You may have to repeat the download of software 8.2 and reflash -- a few anecdotal cases where download problems corrupted the download.

No linux programming should be needed - all of this should be in menu choices on wireless and XO.
ncarrol

Postby SusanT » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks for the info and questions. BTW- I like the new "look and feel" - a lot.

Main Problems:
1. Non-working keyboard. It's been hit/miss before, but had gotten progressively worse and basically stopped working at all very recently. I did the upgrade thinking it might be "bugs" in the OS, hoping the new version fixed all that. Sadly, no...

2. Wireless connection. Never had a problem connecting to my wireless router on the old version. I am Not a tech-person - my sons set up my wireless network and "if it ain't broke"... I'm afraid to touch it. So I definitely hesitate to make any changes there (manual or otherwise). Radio is ON and Network History Erased.

After I restarted the XO this AM, was able to type in my old passphrase - failed - and the entire new HEX key - also failed to connect. Then the keyboard quit on me again.

OH WEIRD!! I just got connected to an open "linksys" wireless network somewhere nearby... and found 6 updates - installing those now. But why won't my own router work?

FYI- I'm a big proponent of the whole G1G1 concept and always love to take my XO with me on the road, to show it off and talk up the G1G1 program, trying to get more people involved. But these hardware issues are really a drag.

Question: Can I trade this XO in on a newer model? (RMA?) I need a reliable, small laptop for checking email, etc. on the road, but I hesitate to try to fix this one now. Don't want to throw good money down the drain. (Have to admit, I'm looking at Dell and HP mini 1000 netbooks.)
SusanT

Postby ncarrol » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Everything is pointing to a failing keyboard (sticking CTRL or SHIFT).
If you can connect to the open "linksys", then the rest of your XO is working. For an open wireless access point, you do not have to type to connect (no popup). No need to mess with your wireless box, since you have not changed anything. Your original passphrase should still work (as passphrase), if the keyboard could be made reliable.

Here is information about repair centers (this is index -- select repair center):

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Community_repair

You could fix the keyboad yourself, but this requires some skills with the disassembly of electronic equipment. There are posts on this forum and olpcnews.com/forum about fixing the keyboard problem (search: keyboard). If you list your city, there might be someone from an XO users group nearby that may be experienced in repairing / replacing the keyboard and will answer your post.

Sometimes a tempermental keyboard will work if you hold it with one hand by the left corner -- this puts a slight twist on the keyboard from the weight of the XO. Not a long term solution !

If you decide to replace the XO -- it still has resale value. No tradein on a newer model -- there are no newer models, yet.
ncarrol

Postby SusanT » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks for the additional info.

The keyboard seems to be working now, but I hold my breath every time I type more than a few letters. The nearest repair center is Miami if I decide to replace the keyboard (I'm in Orlando).
I'll check the "keyboard" forum to see if anyone can help me closer to home.

Thanks again.
SusanT

Postby ncarrol » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:48 pm

SusanT;

I must have caught the no-typing disease from you.

Mine turned out to be a sticking Alt key (left side). Tapping it would allow typing to resume for a while. This appeared after operating the XO tilted on its right side for a couple of hours. Tilting it back on back on its left side for a couple of hours corrected the problem. Otherwise, it had been operating without any problem for over a year.

It is a well known problem of excess adhesive from the outside sealing edge of the rubber cover of the keyboard. The ultimate solution is to disassemble and clean off the excess adhesive residue. Some have even reported using a hair dryer to warm the offending key and restore operation.

In this case, it appears the adhesive residue can be softened enough to flow. I will get to cleaning it one of these days.

So, I am suggesting that you operate your XO for a couple of hours (to warm it) in a position to allow any adhesive residue to flow away from keys (ctrl and left shift) and to the edges (left and bottom). An easy thing to try and it might even work. :lol:
ncarrol

PreviousNext

Return to Networking / Internet