HELP! Cleaning browse history

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

HELP! Cleaning browse history

Postby crashed » Wed May 13, 2009 3:53 am

hello,
can anybody tell how to clean the browse history (visited web pages, cookies etc) on OLPC???
many thanks..
crashed

Re: HELP! Cleaning browse history

Postby genesee » Fri May 15, 2009 10:35 pm

nope. I asked for the same help last year. good luck.
genesee

Postby manymny » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:42 am

i joined the forum specifically to help with this. i've been looking for a solution on all the olpc/xo/sugar forums i could find, and i haven't found the answer.

i have found a solution- at least to cookies, which i'm sure could be adapted to history. the only reason the solution is not in this post is i haven't posted here before, and though i'm sure the xo / sugar is an environment that is literally made to be tinkered with, i'm not sure how many "tinker" posts are welcome here. i'll continue to look around the forum and try to find a baseline. note there is an "xo hacks" forum at olpcnews and i would be happy to answer this question there, since it's clearly there for such answers.

i will tell you what did not work and what i have not tried. i was unable to install any mozilla addons for the browser in sugar. it simply doesn't want to use them. if i was sure what browser was being used (i should try about: to see for sure) i might have a good idea why not.

i tried setting cookie duration from 90 days to 1 day. i am not sure this had any effect, it has not been 1 day since i tried it. since then i have found a solution, which means that my 1 day solution remains untested. (do the cookies go away after 24 hours? i don't know. but if that works it's a very easy fix.)

i have thought about installing firefox to see if this gives me control of cookies (and if it allows me to use tabs in sugar!) right now i've downloaded ff 3.5.x but i haven't installed it. deleting cookies from there if possible) may delete them in the sugar browser also, it may not. i have tried to use ctrl-shift-del (the windows shortcut to bring up the clear recent history window) and this was unfruitful. if you come back and read this, i'd like to help if possible. i don't mean to tease with "i have the answer!" i'd like the opportunity to tell you. if a mod explains his feelings on the matter i can reply even sooner.
teachers that continue teaching should be expected to continue learning; it's an absurdity to have 19th century expectations of 21st century educators. granted they shouldn't have their time wasted (more than students,) or be paid insulting salary.
manymny

Postby sania » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:32 pm

I am also looking out for the same problem. Please help me in this regard. It helps me a lot to know about the cleaning of the browse history. It is very useful for me in this time.
sania

Postby manymny » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:11 am

i've tried posting this and editing it (it won't let me edit the above post anymore) and it continues to say "POST to /posting.php not supported." it seems to be a problem people have had here before.

so for technical reasons i've posted my reply here: http://users4.jabry.com/linuxandsugar i hope that's okay. (i tried to find a host that won't bother people with stupid, annoying ads. you know yahoo is closing geocities? i wonder if archive.org will copy their stuff.)
manymny

Return to Networking / Internet