Setting a fixed IP address

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Setting a fixed IP address

Postby Euphonium » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:09 pm

My appologies if this is already answered somewhere - I've looked, but my search-fu is weak.

I need to set up my daughter's OLPC with a fixed/static IP address for wireless access - how can I do this please?
Euphonium

Re: Setting a fixed IP address

Postby ektoric » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:30 am

May I ask why you need it to be static? The answer could provide two different paths.

The best way to have the "same" IP address is for the client (XO laptop) to be on DHCP, but have the DHCP server (your wireless router) assign the same IP address to your XO's MAC address whenever it requests a "dynamic" IP.

This ensures that you will always get the same IP address when you've connected to this wireless router, but allows the laptop to connect to other wireless routers and get an IP address in their ranges.

If on the other hand you want to have a true "static IP" because your router does not have a DHCP server (very very rare), or for security reasons (which not only is actually more insecure and gives you a false sense of security, but potentially creates an IP conflict), then you can edit the file
Code: Select all
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or ifcfg-wlan0)

The variables in there should tell NetworkManager to not manage this interface, and the static IP value.
ektoric
Support Team

Re: Setting a fixed IP address

Postby Euphonium » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:56 am

Thankyou -you've made me think a little more about this. The answer was, I was wanting a static IP because everything else on my LAN has one - I've never run a DHCP server, having never needed one. This is the first time I've run into something were setting up a static IP wasn't immediate & simple.

Having had a chat with my local network engineer, I've dug into my firewall and set up DHCP on a small address range instead.

Thank you again.
Euphonium

Return to Networking / Internet