Wifi not working anymore, Software problem or Radio dead?

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Wifi not working anymore, Software problem or Radio dead?

Postby lauriman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi,

My G1G1 2008 laptop does not find any networks anymore. It worked about six months and then nothing. I have access to two other G1G1 laptops (my sister's kids) and they work OK.

The radio seems to be looking for the WLAN, but finds nothing, not the wireless nor the other laptops. The neighborhood view only shows my icon and the mesk rings.

I have installed and uninstalled a lot of applications, and I think all of this activity before the problem. Also I moved and the laptop was in a box for weeks and I think the battery was empty when I started using it again.

I started fixing the problem with the radio button and power management. No luck.
Discarded network history. No luck.
Battery off for a few hours, back on. No connection.
I think I tried a few other things I found in this forum (can't remember which), but no luck.
In the end I did the Clean-install, but still no luck.

Hardware check (holding left rocker key powering up) says that everything should be ok.

Software? Hardware?
Is there further diagnostics I could run?
Or any other way I could isolate the problem?
Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

L
lauriman

Re: Wifi not working anymore, Software problem or Radio dead?

Postby ncarrol » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:37 am

Question: by battery off, do you mean you removed the battery (and AC power) temporarily? Removing the battery resets the radio (it stays on even when the power is off) and the Electronic controller. There are reported anecdotal cases where this solves the problem.

Look at command files in the /sbin directory that begin with iw (iwconfig, iwevent, iwgetid, iwlist, iwpriv, iwspy). These are standard linux type commands with -- help for the options. For example, just type iwlist --help and you will get a list of options. iwlist eth0 keys list the key for the encryption (in my case WEP).
ncarrol

Postby lauriman » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Thanks, will try once I find some time... Hope in the next few days...

The question on the battery. I did take the battery off and the AC power. But did not help.

L
lauriman

Postby miltonhork » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:23 am

If your wifi is not working properly reset your network connection.
miltonhork

Return to Networking / Internet