Mesh network limitations

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Mesh network limitations

Postby akhbit » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:55 am

Hello, sorry to bother you with an non-OLPC question, but since OLPC project is one of the few communities that actually have first hand knowledge on operating a 802.11s mesh-network I'd greatly appreciate if some of you could answer few questions I'm having trouble finding answers for my thesis.

1) Is there a theoretical maximum number of nodes in 802.11s/OLPC mesh network? and what factors define the maximum size?

2) What is the maximum amount of hops a mesh-path can have ( is the latency a issue for TCP/IP, or something else)?

3) What is the mean latency/hop in multihop path?

4) What is the largest tested mesh that has been created with XO-gear?

5) Does the gear used in XO apply automatic channel selection/change in case of interference?

6) Is it possible to apply 802.11n technology with 802.11s mesh?

7) Has node mapping/triangulation been applied with 802.11s/OLPC-gear?

8) I found the test plan for the 100 laptop mesh, but I can't find any info about the actual test. Has it been done?

All information or pointers where to find answers will be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

-Tuukka
Finland
akhbit

Re: Mesh network limitations

Postby jecourdclearck » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:49 am

I would say A mesh network is reliable and offers redundancy. If one node can no longer operate, all the rest can still communicate with each other, directly or through one or more intermediate nodes. Mesh networks work well when the nodes are located at scattered points that do not lie near a common line.
jecourdclearck

Return to Networking / Internet