Mobile Broadband Issues - Connected(?) but no pages load.

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Mobile Broadband Issues - Connected(?) but no pages load.

Postby hopeididgood » Fri May 14, 2010 1:44 pm

My only option for internet access is Mobile Broadband. I'm trying to use wvdial to connect and this appears to be successful in "Terminal". However (though supposedly connected) when I go to "Browse" no websites load.

While not completely new to linux, I'm still limited in my knowledge. I've googled and tried a few solutions (details below) but have hit a stumbling block.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-----Some details...-----

Build: 767
Sugar: 0.82.1
Firmware: Q2E18
Modem: UTStarcom UM 150 USB Wireless
Settings:
[Dialer Defaults]
Stupid Mode = on
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
Baud = 921600
Init = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Phone = #777
Username = ??????????@alltel.net
Password = alltel
Init1 = ATZ
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Auto Reconnect = on
Carrier Check = no
[Dialer shh]
Init3 = ATM0
[Dialer pulse]
Dial Command = ATDP

(Settings are from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3014379&postcount=25 and have worked for me with this modem in the past on an Ubuntu computer.)

-----Here's what I've tried...-----

1) First, I used nano to write the settings above to /etc/wvdial.conf.

I attempted to launch wvdial, but received this error...

Code: Select all
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot open /dev/ttyACM0: Device or resource busy

I then launched wvdial as root and it appeared to be successful, but I couldn't browse to any websites.

2) Since that wasn't working, I then deleted the settings from /etc/wvdial.conf (the file is still there, it's just blank) and followed suggestions at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_with_USB_Cellular_Modem">XO%20with%20USB%20Cellular%20Modem.

I wrote the settings in a text document (named alltelconfig.txt) and copied it to /home/olpc.

I attempted to launch wvdial with wvdial --config alltelconfig.txt but received the same error as above.

The same command when executed as root produced this...

Code: Select all
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT#777
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT#777
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Wed May 12 20:44:07 2010
--> Pid of pppd: 1985
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: H[1f]"[08]\ufffd "[08]
--> local  IP address 174.42.200.92
--> remote IP address 75.116.231.29
--> primary   DNS address 75.116.63.154
--> secondary DNS address 75.116.127.154

...but still I couldn't get any pages to load in "Browse."

3)
I went into "Control Panel > Network" and clicked "Remove Network Configuration" and restarted the XO. I still could only get the modem to connect as root and still could not get to any pages.

4) I tried turning off the "Radio" in "Control Panel." Not sure if I did this correctly, as the XO kept searching for a mesh network, but failed to connect to them. I ran wvdial (same command as above) and on this occasion was able to successfully browse the web!!! I don't know how this fluke happened because...

5) Thinking it might have been an issue with being connected to the mesh network (cause I'm correct in understanding you can't connect to the internet and the mesh at the same time, yes?) I turned the XO off and attempted to repeat the process. This time I turned off the radio in the "Power" section. When I ran wvdial --config alltelconfig.txt as root I received a variety of error messages (including one about the text file not existing -- I checked, it's still there -- and error about input/output) before it finally showed a connection. However, once I went to "Browse" I started only getting page errors again. I unclicked all Power management options (turning the radio back on), restarted the XO, and turned the radio off in the Network section again. Terminal showed a connection but no pages would load.

6) After reading that this might be a DNS issue, I viewed file://localehost/etc/resolve.conf in "Browse" and found that no numbers were appearing in the file... Not sure if this is a sign of incorrect settings...

------

So, in conclusion, I have no idea what the issue is -- especially since it worked one out of the six+ attempts! I don't know if this is some conflict with the XO searching for the mesh vs. the modem, an issue with my settings, or a problem since I've only been able to connect when working as root. Or if the issue is none of the above...

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
hopeididgood

Re: Mobile Broadband Issues - Connected(?) but no pages load.

Postby ncarrol » Fri May 14, 2010 10:41 pm

Have you looked at the wiki link given in this post:

http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4748.msg31850#msg31850

You can operate the mesh and cell phone at the same time (MPP). The link is given in the above post.

Cannot comment on the specifics of your arrangement, but take a look at the cell phone link in the above post.

Hope this helps.
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Fri May 14, 2010 11:10 pm

To be on point about the DNS issue, check out the section "XO Internet Connectivity with Vodaphone Service in India" for a tip:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_with_USB_Cellular_Modem
ncarrol

Postby Ohioquotes » Sun May 23, 2010 7:45 pm

I have Verizon and it happens all of the time. Maybe not Verizon's fault, but I can't figure it out.
Ohioquotes

Return to Networking / Internet