Newbie: VirtualBox and Mesh

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Newbie: VirtualBox and Mesh

Postby RestlessHermit » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Can anyone point me to relevant information on mesh and VirtualBox? I am running on a Live CD. How do I set things up so that two VMs running Sugar can see one another? I am simply trying to run two VMs, each with Sugar, and be able to recognize each machine from the other.

I have tried running in "internal network" mode, "NAT" mode, and "bridged adapter" mode.

I am a developer by trade, and intermediate with Linux, but I am totally unfamiliar with Sugar. I am probably missing some very simple obvious thing, so don't go too deep. I'm still trying to figure out where the documentation lives at the moment.

Does mesh require wireless? So far, I have only tried running on an emulated wired connection.

Thanks!
RestlessHermit

Re: Newbie: VirtualBox and Mesh

Postby ektoric » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Two Sugars "see" each other by both connecting to a http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jabber server. If both are able to connect to the net, there are a few community jabber server you can connect to, or you may be able to set up a private one on your emulation environment.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby RestlessHermit » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:57 am

I noticed that setting. Is there anything special I need to do to see the larger community? I'm sure I am missing something simple.
RestlessHermit

Postby ektoric » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:10 pm

I stand corrected! I think I misread your first post.
  • First following the tangent / wrong thread: You can join a jabber server, and you should be able to see any other XO's that may also be connected in the Group view.
  • If the mesh interface is up, you should be able to see other XO's in mesh range in the Neighborhood view.

Seeing "mesh" nodes is like seeing wireless "infrastructure" base stations, or other "ad-hoc" nodes. OLPC is based on the 802.11s standard which allows "ad-hoc" wireless nodes to forward packets from along, as opposed to just being a point-to-point direct network.

The "emulated wired connection" is probably an 802.3 ethernet emulation. You'll probably not be able to create a 802.11s device over this emulation. You may indeed need to emulate a wireless 802.11 and install a mesh driver on top of that.
ektoric
Support Team

Return to Networking / Internet