Connecting XO with school server fails

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

Connecting XO with school server fails

Postby rob.bosch » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 pm

I've set up an XS School server. I checked connectivity and I am able to ping the router that it is connected to.
The router has allso a build-in AP.
I connected an XO with that AP by setting up the WPA credentials. I can directly access the internet through that. I can allso ping the XS-School server from the XO.

Now I try to register the XO to the XS server but that fails. I get a message: cannot connect to the server. Registration failed.

XS-School server version is 0.6 (latest from laptop.org website)

Is there anyone that can give me a few hints to get this up and running?

Network settings:

internet - router+AP - Local network
Localnetwork is 192.168.1.0/24
Schoolserver and XO have IP provided by DHCP

Do I have to point the XO to the XS IP adress? If so, how do I do that? I thought there would be some kind of discovery from the XO to the XS?... If I am wrong, I realy would like to know what I am doing wrong.
regards,
rob
rob.bosch

Re: Connecting XO with school server fails

Postby ncarrol » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:41 pm

I can not supply the answer, but can point you to where the answer might be found.

Start with (version 0.6 as well):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Release_Notes#XS_0.5
Follow the link therein:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Techniques_and_Configuration#Using_a_different_WAN_connection
And the link therin:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2010-July/004997.html

Look at the last paragraph. The problem may lie in the specific requirement for addresses in the 172 range and problems with dhcp assigment of eth0. Look at previous and next in this link. In general, the XS appears to be configured to be "standalone" and integration into a network system requires more effort. Look at the Archives in the server-devel . There is more discussion there -- one particular by the Aussies about integration into existing networks. Particularly look for the author Martin Langhoff, who is the lead (developer) on the XS project.

I do not have an XS, but have been following the topic for future plans. Hope this drops you in the middle of where the answer may be found.
ncarrol

Postby rob.bosch » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:21 am

I'll try setting up my network with a B class subnet in the 172 range. I'll post back what I find.
rob.bosch

Postby ncarrol » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:30 am

My read of all the November email conversation on the above links is to check that your world facing network should be eth0 and and XO network on eth1 (unless you have run the xs-switchnic script). XO network must be in the proper range in 172.x.x.x . Finally, the gateway address for eth1 on XS must be set to the router -- this appeared to be key in the conversation.
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:35 pm

OOPs ! Should be:
Finally, the gateway address for eth0 on XS must be set to the router -- this appeared to be key in the conversation.
ncarrol

Postby rob.bosch » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:33 am

I've got it working now.

This is my setup:

Internet - (ip provided by ISP) router (ip internal range 192.168.1.x/24) - (Ipaddress in local range 192.168.1.x/24 on eth1) - XS-Schoolserver (Ipaddress in 172.18.x.x/16 range set by OLPC script on eth0) - Accesspoint (Ipaddress static in 172.18.x.x/16 range, DHCP server disabled! since SX-Schoolserver has a DHCP server active to serve XO clients.)

I managed to register an XO to the XS-Schoolserver and have internet access on the XO with the XS-Schoolserver as firewall/proxy server.

To take this a bit further I have another question: The current installation script works fine if you have a standard disk controller. Either a SATA or SCSI controller works fine. But as soon you have a more decent raid controller, the script seems to fail as the array defined on the raidcontroller is not 'SDA' (the disk the script is referring to)
I have a HP DL360 G3 with a (build-in) smartarray 5i array controller. Attached to that are 2 72GB U320 15K SCSI disks.
Is it possible that the script gets a bit more interactive so I am able to choose the disk that is actually available? The installation of the xs-Schoolserver part fails, while a standard FC9 install from the 0.6 image works like a charm.
Last question: Can I get some insight in what packages and config used so I can try to get this working on an (for me more familiar) Debian derivative (like Ubuntu) distro? (or is anyone already running xs-Schoolserver on an (Ed)ubuntu server?)
rob.bosch

Postby rob.bosch » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:12 am

I see I switched eth0 and eth1
The Internal adapter should be eth1 with an IP set by the script in the 172.18.x.x range

The external adapter can either get a dynamic IP address from the ISP or a private IP address behind a dedicated router to the internet.

A last remark: IF a school has no internet access, is it possible to use only 1 network adapter? (probably allso a point where a scripted installation limits the possibilities of the hardware used.)

btw... can the edit option to a post set indefinitely instead of a limited time?
rob.bosch

Postby ncarrol » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:35 pm

I am not advanced enough to answer your questions. They are best answered on the lists server-devel , but be aware that they are streached thin. Note that Anna is with the Birmingham, Al schools deployment -- maybe you can join her group on her server -- send her a personal message on the forum on OLPCNEWS.com.

As to having one ethernet port, see my first post with the first October link to server-devel. There is the discussion about switching network interface card (nic) assignment when there is one port. Also, look at XS installation on an XO, which has only one port (although a USB to ethernet adapter can be added).

As to the drive assignments, I vaguely remember posts on the server-devel. The ones I remember involved interacting with anaconda on the first steps of the XS installation -- again I refer you to others. I will see if I can find them.

Yes, the loss of edits option to posting after logging off is a pain at times --- "not my job, man" .
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 pm

The following from the Install and Configuration links suggest that during install, that the presets for questions involving kickstart drives might be substituted with your drives:
Start
Anaconda (the Fedora installer) takes over and you will be prompted for
the standard questions - these are preset to the correct defaults for
the School Server configuration. You will want to set keyboard type,
the time zone, and a root password for your specific system.
If you are planning to deploy to a large number of XSs, it is easy to
modify the Kickstart file to have the whole process run automatically.

------------------------------------------
For installing from USB drive
------------------------------------------
Fixing up the installation "sources" so that it works
In the resulting USB stick, the file, syslinux/syslinux.cfg (if the USB
device filesystem is formatted as vfat or fat16/32) or
syslinux/extlinux.conf (if the filesystem is ext23), needs editing. It
will say

append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:LABEL=XSRepo:/ks.cfg
method=hd:LABEL=XSRepo:/iso

you need to make a good guess of the device and partition the USB disk
will turn up as. If your machine has only one fixed hard drive, it will
probably be sdb. If the installer is contained in the first partition
of the disk, then it is sdb1. Now replace that line to say

append initrd=initrd.img ks=hd:sdb1:/ks.cfg method=hd:sdb1:/iso

Note: Anaconda scans and re-scans devices, so it may re-prompt for the
location of the Kickstart file due to a timing issue. Normally waiting
a second and hitting enter works. Similarly, you will probably get
prompted again for the path to the ISO - set it to Hard Drive, device:
'/dev/sdb1' and directory: 'iso'.
End
ncarrol

Postby rob.bosch » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 pm

What I am realy curious about is why (who?) is/has chosen to use a kix script for the installation of XS Schoolserver? There are so many things that can go wrong.

And lets face it, the locations where a server is installed often lack ICT knowledge so a server that is being configured as a proxy and fails, is a great scenario to abandon the XO-XS use because with a failing XS Schoolserver, there is NO INTERNET available anymore.

If the XS Schoolserver is to be used as a turnkey appliance, this just has to change. I tried to install on a (very common) HP DL360 G3 server and it failed because the raid controller wasn't supported.

In a turnkey appliance this just schouldn't happen. I am realy curious if/how this is going to change with future versions of XS Schoolserver. I would like to see an extra additional repository, maintained by the devs of laptop.org/XS Schoolserver (any other suggestions for that??), that can be added as yum repository for the XS Schoolserver. Additionally some apt-get repo's aswell since I am more familiar with .deb kind of distro's, but that is just me.

Or do we have to stick with old desktops that suddenly are called 'servers'? Anyway, I prefer to use some decent hardware that is proven to be reliable.
rob.bosch

Postby jvonau » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:21 am

Think I can help get the xs-installer to play nice, the trick is it use a flashdrive as the installer source, that lets you edit the kickstart file before installing. I've done this for olpc-au https://dev.laptop.org.au/projects/xs-a ... llation_F9, as a bonus all the funky networking layout is gone and is intended to use a single interface but not provide internet access, just a drop in server.
jvonau

Return to Networking / Internet