question about neighborhood view

Discuss solutions for wired and wireless usage for sharing and Internet connectivity.

question about neighborhood view

Postby fallwind » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:45 pm

I have several XOs and tried to connect them to internet via a wireless router.
The connections seemed fine and each one can browse the internet. However those laptops cannot see each other at neighborhood view. I'm wondering that maybe I need to assign port access inside the wireless router settings, but have no idea which port(s) the XOs use to see each other. Does anyone happen to know the answer? Thank you. :roll:
fallwind

Re: question about neighborhood view

Postby ncarrol » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:07 am

The simple answer if you are on the internet is to set the "mesh" or "collaboration" server to the same on all the XO's. Where you find this varies with version. Look under main menu for "Control Panel" or "My settings" for Network. Assume radio is turned on (since you can browse on internet). The original software used command line to set server.

Suggest server: jabber.laptop.org

You should see your XO's plus others connected to the server
ncarrol

Re: question about neighborhood view

Postby ncarrol » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Try Jabber site: jabber.sugarlabs.org instead of jabber.laptop.org .

Nobody seems to be using the laptop.org site the last couple of days (or it is no longer active ?) and the sugarlabs.org site has consistently shown several XO's.

Also, the ports used are 5222 or 5223 for the protocol used by the XO (actually the XO just uses older 5223). I would not suspect your router is blocking these ports --- but check.

If you want to try other jabber sites, checkout:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_Jabber_Servers
ncarrol

Return to Networking / Internet