Install on USB pen drive

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

Install on USB pen drive

Postby pipposanta » Thu May 15, 2008 5:17 pm

Hi to all,
I am trying to download and install the OLPC OS on a a usb pen drive but without succes. Can you tell me where to download the right file and how to install on the usb pen? I have read the tutorial for Windows here (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images_for_USB_disks) but it doesn't work! :cry:

Thanks in advance!!!
pipposanta

Re: Install on USB pen drive

Postby pipposanta » Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 am

up!
pipposanta

Postby dbeskan » Thu May 22, 2008 5:33 pm

pipposanta wrote:Hi to all,
I am trying to download and install the OLPC OS on a a usb pen drive but without succes. Can you tell me where to download the right file and how to install on the usb pen? I have read the tutorial for Windows here (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images_for_USB_disks) but it doesn't work! :cry:

Thanks in advance!!!

I copied BELOW in January...it helped me a couple of days ago with a USB drive, and upgrading the build to 656. Hope you also have success. Sorry, I don't know how to give you the html version here for the links to work. debbie is Delray, totally frustrated with wi-fi not working with my wpa and confused,

12-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Administrator

How to install / update your OLPC software
Here's how to do some basic updating of the programs installed on your OLPC XO.

The OLPC Operating System

Your operating system is the software suite that allows the sharing of your computer system's resources (processor, memory, disk space, network bandwidth, and so on) between users and the application programs they run.

Determining Your OLPC XO Operating System Version Number

* The easiest way to do this is to type the CTRL, ALT and "Group" (Three dots) keys simultaneously from your Journal. You'll get output looking like this:

Code:

OLPC build 653 (stream ship.2; variant devel_jffs2)
Kernel 2.6.22-20071121.7.olpc.af3dd731d18bc39
on an i586
xo-0D-39-78 Login:

Here we see the OLPC operating system is using build 653.

* To return to your OLPC GUI, type the CTRL, ALT and "Home View" (One dot) keys simultaneously.

Upgrading Your OLPC XO Operating System

Here's how you can upgrade to the latest MAJOR Version

* First time OLPC XO updates can be done using the activated upgrade procedure
* Listings of the latest versions of operating systems can be found on the wiki.
* If you know your system is activated, and you have already done a manual upgrade, you can try the olpc-update command. In this case we are attempting to upgrade to version 653 in the terminal activity.

Code:

$ su -
# olpc-update 653

Note: DO NOT POWER OFF YOUR XO DURING THIS PROCESS. Wait until it comes back to life fully just like before with the Journal etc. A premature shutdown can be fatal.

Note: Major upgrades can remove new custom activities you have previously installed using tar or yum.

The OLPC XO Firmware

Most computer systems come with a Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). The BIOS determines what a computer can do without accessing programs from a disk. On PCs, the BIOS contains all the code required to control the keyboard, monitor, disk drives, and a number of miscellaneous functions. In summary it helps to tailor a specific computer to the operating system. It configures devices to meet the basic needs of the operating system and then starts booting the operating system.

The function of the BIOS is so vital that the information on the BIOS is often stored on a chip separate from the hard drive to protect it from potential crashes. In the OLPC, the BIOS code can be modified to fix known bugs by upgrading the firmware programs that reside in it.

Determining Your OLPC XO firmware Version

Your firmware version can be determined using the olpc-bios-sig command as the root super user.

From the terminal activity, become the root super user by typing the su command. Then run the olpc-bios-sig

Code:

[olpc@xo-0D-39-78 ~]$ su -
-bash-3.2# olpc-bios-sig
CL1 Q2D07 Q2D

-bash-3.2#

Here we see the version is CL1 Q2D07 Q2D

Upgrading Your OLPC XO firmware

Instructions on how to upgrade your BIOS firmware can be found on the wiki firmware page.

Installing Activities

OLPC XO activities can be downloaded from a number of places on the Internet, but the easiest place to search is on the OLPC Wiki using the Browse activity.

* On the Wiki, web pages describing the activity usually have a link to a file with a name ending in " .xo". Here is the description page for the Read activity.
* Clicking on the link usually sends you to another page from which you can download the activity with a link to the true ".xo" file, usually at the very top. Here is the download page for the Read activity.
* Clicking on the ".xo" file will start the download process to your OLPC XO. When it is completed an "OK" and/or "Open" button will appear near the top of your browser screen.
* Click on OK and then return to your Journal activity.
* The ".xo" file should be at the very top of the Journal. Click on the file and then choose "Resume".
* The activity should now be installed and available in your activity bar.

Installing Other Applications

The Linux Home Networking website has a good page on installing Linux software. Here is a summary.

Using RPM Packages

Some Linux software is available in RPM package files. If you know the URL for the RPM file then you can use the rpm command to install it from the terminal activity. Here is an example.

Code:

$ su -
# rpm -vi
http://server.download.com/unix/applica ... lename.rpm
#exit

Using Yum

The yum program will probe a list of predefined servers for RPM files. Unlike rpm, you don't need to know the software version or filename to install as yum figures that out for you. You just need the name of the application. In this example we're installing an application named "mc".

Code:

$ su -
# yum -y install mc
#exit

Updating your Activities and Applications

You can update your applications and activities using the yum command. It will also upgrade those sub sections of your operating system that have changed since your last major upgrade. This is also known as a MINOR operating system version upgrade. Yum requires an Internet connection, so make sure you are connected.

Here is how you run yum from the terminal activity.

Code:

[olpc@xo-0D-39-78 ~]$ su -
-bash-3.2# yum -y update

Complete!
-bash-3.2#

If you have any questions. Ask this thread!
dbeskan

Postby pipposanta » Fri May 23, 2008 5:26 am

Sorry, but what I want to do is to install XO on a USB from a windows PC. Is this possible?
pipposanta

Postby ektoric » Fri May 23, 2008 11:57 am

pipposanta wrote:Sorry, but what I want to do is to install XO on a USB from a windows PC. Is this possible?

Just to clarify, what are you trying to do again? Your end goal?

Are you trying to use the USB stick to update the XO, or are you trying to install a full complete image on the USB so that when it boot, it boots to the USB, and runs on the USB instead of the internal flash?

Using the USB to upgrade is a straightforward process. Using the USB to run is much more involved.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby pipposanta » Sun May 25, 2008 12:52 pm

Just to clarify, what are you trying to do again? Your end goal?

Are you trying to use the USB stick to update the XO, or are you trying to install a full complete image on the USB so that when it boot, it boots to the USB, and runs on the USB instead of the internal flash?

Using the USB to upgrade is a straightforward process. Using the USB to run is much more involved.

I am trying to install a full copy of XO on USB from a Windows PC and then also boot it from a Windows PC.
pipposanta

Postby ektoric » Mon May 26, 2008 2:56 am

pipposanta wrote:I am trying to install a full copy of XO on USB from a Windows PC and then also boot it from a Windows PC.

The short of it: not gonna happen.
The longer of it: you could get it to work, but has to do with a bootable USB motherboard BIOS settings, formatting your USB drive as bootable, and other things totally not related to XO.
The long of it: Even if you could do such a thing, why would you want to? perhaps that's a better question. What is it really that you are trying to do? Suppose you get things booting the way you think you want, what do you want to do with it?
ektoric
Support Team

Postby charily » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:28 am

How do I retrieve data from a broken pen drive? I broke a pen drive accidentaly. It broke into two parts at the base of the USB port. Is there any way to retrive data stored in the drive?
charily

Postby jpbourdillon » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Bonsoir!
Since I upgraded my XO to767 I have been unable to reinstall mplayer,skype and vlc
the video clips are no longer viewable on the BBC news site and the flash player won't play the sound either
any idea what to do or has our beloved XO become a dead whale?

salutations
jpbourdillon

ps:beeing able to play mpeg2 video extracts on the XO for my students was a great way
to publicize the olpc project but I can't do it any longer
jpbourdillon

Postby allan101 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:52 am

Hi Pipposanta,
This is Stephen, are you trying to install complete image on the usb.its runs directly on the usb instead of internal Flash? You requires internet connection, So I will sure you are connected.
R4games
allan101

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software