How to in Terminal?

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

How to in Terminal?

Postby hipwatermama » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi, I am wondering just how to do the following: locate and delete folders and then unzip and replace them manually using terminal. Any help is greatly appreciated as I need to do this on 12 XO's. Thanks!

RE:
To save download time and space in the XO file system, the XO version of Scratch includes only a subset of the sample projects and media library (images and sounds) that come with the full version of Scratch. If you would like the full versions of the sample project and media library folders, you can download and install the following ZIP files:

* Media.zip (13.6 MB)
* Projects.zip (9 MB)

You will need to install these folders manually using the Terminal tool. First locate the Scratch activity folder. In that folder, delete the Media and Projects folders that came with XO version of Scratch. Then, unzip the above ZIP files to replace them. (These versions include everything that came with the XO version of Scratch plus much more.)
hipwatermama

Re: How to in Terminal?

Postby cuprum » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:46 am

This is really hard to explain online. The commands you'll be using are:
  • cd
  • ls
  • pwd
  • rm
  • rmdir
  • unzip
If you've used DOS or the windows command line, let me know. I'll post a translation.
cuprum

Postby hipwatermama » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:10 am

Thanks, I got instructions from a developer, so I am all set. Take care, Jenny
PS The kids really love this program!
hipwatermama

Postby mrksem454 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:48 am

Well, You need to some Prerequisites for this process,
Open a terminal window by click on Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal, and then elevate your privileges to root.
sudo su -l
We're going to install a required package and a couple useful ones. Openssh-server is a requirement for the FreeNX server and fail2ban will lock out those attempting to log on with incorrect credentials, which helps mitigate brute force attacks. I'm using firehol to help write the iptables firewall.

aptitude update && aptitude install openssh-server fail2ban firehol

Let's test that our ssh server is running:
ssh 127.0.0.1

You should get a listing of an RSA key fingerprint and a query on whether you want to continue to connect. You might jot the fingerprint down. We'll be comparing it in a later step. Hit Control-C because we don't want to connect here, we just want to know that our ssh server is running.
Then, Go ahead and leave that terminal window open.
mrksem454

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software