Downloading digital camera/uploading to memory stick

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

Downloading digital camera/uploading to memory stick

Postby MamaG » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:49 pm

My techie son did an Ubuntu OS install for me (installed on 4gig card). I'm taking the XO to England my trip of a lifetime) with me in a couple of weeks and want to be able to download photos from my digital cameras onto a flash drive via the XO. I am pretty green at tech stuff, so could someone please walk me through this, including determining how much memory I have available to download to?
A million thanks in advance!
MamaG

Re: Downloading digital camera/uploading to memory stick

Postby ektoric » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:57 am

Congrats!

It might be easier than you think! As soon as (a few moments after) you plug in your camera to the USB port of the XO, you should see a folder open showing what's in your camera. You can then open those folders to get to your pictures and drag them individually, or drag the whole folder to your destination. Your pictures will now be on your destination!

There's no port on the XO to read Sony Memory Sticks, so you'll need a memory stick to USB adapter. But once (a few moments after) you plug in your USB, a file browser window should pop up as the contents of your memory stick.

As for size remaining, depending on which filebrowser you have installed, the bottom status bar of your filebrowser may tell you your "Free Space". If not, we can get a little more nitty-gritty.
ektoric
Support Team

Re: Downloading digital camera/uploading to memory stick

Postby ektoric » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:02 pm

ektoric wrote:As soon as (a few moments after) you plug in your camera to the USB port of the XO, you should see a folder open showing what's in your camera.

p.s If this folder doesn't show up (or is closed by you before you're done), try opening up a file browser and navigating there manually. It should be "/media/(something)". That (something) depends on your camera, but confidently poke around in the /media/ directory until you find a bunch of pictures (you won't hurt anything).
ektoric
Support Team

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software