Removing previous build and system software

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

Removing previous build and system software

Postby liam » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:58 am

I have recently upgraded from build 650 to 802. The new build works fine, but I now have much less free disk space. Prior to the upgrade, there was approximately 600MB of the 1GB flash free; now there is about 150MB free. As I understand it, the old build/software is retained as a fallback in case the upgrade fails. Since it has succeeded, I don't need to retain it; can I remove it to reclaim space? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks,
Liam
liam

Re: Removing previous build and system software

Postby ektoric » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Please try out How to delete old versions in the Tips, Tricks & Tutorials and see if it works out for you. If not, please let us know how we can help.
ektoric
Support Team

Re: Removing previous build and system software

Postby liam » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I was looking for. Don't know how I missed that, apparently my Google skills failed here.

I tried the advice given there; I found two links in /versions/pristine, the one I was using and /versions/pristine/650, which is my old build. I removed that directory and my disk usage dropped from 886MB to 884MB, not exactly the pick up in free space I had hoped for. I noticed there is a /versions/run/650 which which has 648MB used with df, is it safe to delete that? Any other suggestions for freeing up a signficant chunk of space?

Thanks.
Liam
liam

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software