Who else is compiling?

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

Who else is compiling?

Postby superimposedmedia » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:23 am

I've searched for the last few hours trying to find a way to compile Midnight Commander. I installed the Gcc1.xo on OLPC build 802. GCC shows up in list view but not on the favorites, although the star is selected. When I run the activity, I get a plain white screen with nothing on it. When I go to the terminal and run the ./configure in the mc directory, I get an error after the machine does it's checks saying no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH. When I run echo $PATH, there are no entries.

What other solutions are there?

My current internet is not wireless so I can't install from the repositories. I downloaded the mc.tar.gz and manually untarred it on the OLPC.
I'm currently configuring three xos, two for my nieces and one for myself.
myspace.com/superimposedmedia
superimposedmedia

Re: Who else is compiling?

Postby cuprum » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:00 pm

There must be a way to compile on another machine. I have avoided installing a compiler on this one because I thought -- rightly or wrongly -- that compiling would be hard on the flash drive.

Do you not have a nearby business that could allow you to use their wireless?
cuprum

Postby superimposedmedia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:19 pm

If I compile on another machine, won't there be links missing between the files? The version of mc that I have, should have all the relative libraries and such. I don't think it would work out by copying the directories in such a fashion. I have to follow a verbose stream, chasing the files to copy them onto the olpc. I need to jack someone's wireless this weekend and yum it, I guess. The only GCC libraries in RPM format are in the 130MB size so I may get them while I'm at it to see his machine in action. It prolly won't run it and will close it automatically.

I just don't understand the purpose of the GCC.activity. I thought it was intended for minor compiling of programs such as Midnight Commander. Maybe it's not finished. Nonetheless, I'm still in awe over these laptops. My nieces are going to love them! They probably won't need a compiler ... :) They're four and nine years old. I would like to teach them Midnight Commander though. I use it on FreeBSD and Mandrake. Very useful.
I'm currently configuring three xos, two for my nieces and one for myself.
myspace.com/superimposedmedia
superimposedmedia

Postby ektoric » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:53 am

Two options. (Well, actually, many options.)
  • You can compile it on any x86_32 fedora, but use staticly linked libraries. This will make the binary bigger, but it won't have any dynamic library dependencies.
  • You can compile it on any x86_32 fedora 7, making sure your build environment closely matches the available versions of the .so's on the XO.
  • You can create a virtual machine on your desktop to emulate an XO environment. Then you can install all the -devel RPMs you want without fear of the clogging up your flash, then just copy over the binary.
ektoric
Support Team

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software