Windows XP Build?

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

Windows XP Build?

Postby sweddle » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:30 pm

Oh boy, I hope this is not like salt in a wound to ask among what looks to be mostly Linux users....

I have had my OLPC for over a year and have never got comfortable with the interface and well hacking away at how to get to "work" for me.... then i heard there was a Windows XP build for it.

Soooo... any idea on where to buy... download copy or otherwise get that? or how about a Linux build that has xwindows and open office/kde that runs on the OLPC?. something that looks common and as been used by many for over 15 year..

I'm all for open source but this sugar thing seams a bit off the easy of use path.

If i need to get the build from a news group thats fine just need a build name.

Thanks
sweddle
sweddle

Re: Windows XP Build?

Postby ncarrol » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:01 pm

You need to look at the thread about the Xtra Ordinary collection on a SD card for the XO --- all you asked for on a SD card from On-disk.com .
http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4602.msg30628;topicseen#msg30628
ncarrol

Postby tomiro » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:11 pm

There is also a newer version of Xtra Ordinary that is even more responsive. Now there is a homepage with information, how-to articles, and even a support forum: http://webpath.net/xo
tomiro

Postby orangensaft2010 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:30 am

i heard there was a small run of xo´s with xp made by olpc following a paif order of microsoft 8 1 or 2 k units).
if one could read out the pic 7 eprom containing the efi / bios info and had a soldering gun to put a accordingly modified pic of digikey on the xo motherboard instead the oem one xp should boot nicely.

other than that onyl a small linux bootloader and any flavour linux that can run well with limitee system resources should do, even more the versions that where tailored around the xo´s display and gamekey features.
once the gen 1.5 with via chipset hits the shelves power management and even more advanced graphics modes should be easily integratable with evenmore distro´s not solely "extraordinary" or modded ubuntus and alike.

i wonder if moblin or android will work with the xo lateron :mrgreen:
orangensaft2010

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software