What is the future in linux as compared to windows operating

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

What is the future in linux as compared to windows operating

Postby ignatiusmael » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi Everybody,
What is the future in linux as compared to windows operating systems......??
ignatiusmael

Re: What is the future in linux as compared to windows operating

Postby energyisanumber » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:27 am

Hi.

I'm relatively new to Linux myself (going on about two years this May), but in the short time I've been running linux, I've learned a couple of things.

First, windows in extremely limiting. When you're running windows, that's basically the whole story. With Linux, you can do really anything that your hardware allows, all it takes is a bit of searching on some forums. You can also customize Linux to meet the specific needs of your particular computer. So, on my old laptop (IBM x30, 1.2 Ghz, 750 mb RAM) I run xubuntu. It's easy to get everything to work, and it's relatively tiny, so my computer is actually a great deal faster than my brother's dual core HP which runs at about 2.4 Ghz, and has well over twice the RAM (he runs Vista). For a basic comparison, try running the command "htop" in a terminal, and if that doesn't work, try "top". Compare the amount of memory being used on your XO with what is being used by windows (I think that you can see the processes by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del [i]once[\i] in Windows.

Another very important difference is the cost. You can buy a rather nice, new Desktop computer today for around 500 USD (less without a Windows install). A full-install of MS Office will run over 300, and if it doesn't come with Windows on it, that will be at least another 150. A lot of folks are talked into buying all of this stuff because "Well, you basically [i]need[\i] it." But there are all sorts of free alternatives out there, made by people that just want to level the educational playing field a bit. And many of them are actually a great deal faster, and easier to use than their costly counterparts.
energyisanumber

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software