"cannot resolve host" when activating the developer key...

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

"cannot resolve host" when activating the developer key...

Postby orangensaft2010 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:48 pm

as the title says, i am stuck at this point.
i open the console, tried with and with "su" and copypasted the command of the wiki but allways the connection fails on me. "cannot resolve host name.. :cry: ."

i tried in 2 different networks, should not be on that behalf.
the key is received just fine and i can browse the web on my 8,.2.1 - firwware xo - help please ?
orangensaft2010

Re: "cannot resolve host" when activating the developer key...

Postby ncarrol » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:17 am

Unclear what steps you followed. Are they the same as:

http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4403.msg29620#msg29620

Are you getting the error running the wget command ?
ncarrol

Postby orangensaft2010 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:53 am

correct,

i did it in the followin order:

-ordered the key online in direct of the machine it was ment to ( single machine, no "deployment")

- went back to that same site to pick up they key automatically 2 days later, succeeded according to a display message, rebooted.

-went into terminal, went su, copyied the command "wget..." of the wiki and get the "cannot resolve host..:" answer.

seems like the path specified was incorrect or the protocol the olpc links up is not supported somewhere in osi1 or 2.
orangensaft2010

Postby orangensaft2010 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:59 am

i type in:

- su

- wget -P..../activation/laptop/org.devkey

-i get a reply that this host adress (>>activation.laptop.org.devkey>> ) cannot be resolved

no idea why, i am in behind a regular w-lan box without firewall ( also tried another) in spain ( also tried in germany), no luck thar. Please help :)
orangensaft2010

Postby orangensaft2010 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:20 am

the error message more in lenght ( don t mind typos, i just copy-pasted the original text in the xo there so this is not a factor):
$su
wget -P security https://activation/laptop/org.devkey/xg ... evelop.sig

result:
resolving of host name >>activation/laptop/org.devkey<< ... failed. name or service not known.
wget: cannot resolve host adress >>activation/laptop/org<<

bash -3.2'

so i am altering my guess towards the location of the problem more in direction of the server and osi4 or 5; could it be the server cannot be reached out of areas where no actual deployment took place so i should try and use a us-proxy or so ?
The olpc was a one like of the give one get one programm, got it as a permanent lending of a olpc representative like 9 months ago and it should be of the then-recent production run and "bone-stock" settings.
orangensaft2010

Postby sandy|XO » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:05 pm

Not sure what is going on with your dev key confirmation request.

A couple of ideas: update your Terminal activity first to allow easier cut and paste, see:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities

If you copy the whole wget command that comes to activate your key, watch carefully for spacing and make sure you have net access working.

Read carefully here http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developer_key and the connected Talk page.

If you are still stuck consider logging in to an IRC session to ask for help, see:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Communication_channels
sandy|XO

Postby orangensaft2010 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:27 pm

i was able to copy it in complete into the terminal, also the part that seems to cause trouble is in the middle of the whole string i copied so aslong as the wiki is not faulty it´s not about the command.

network connection is not the problem, i supposed that in first but i tried a thirdnetwork in betweentimes, all with wep keys only, and no luck on each of these.

the irc channel was the first thing i tried allready months agon and twice in the last days, not a single respnse let alone post in the chatroom for hours even with 8+ people logged in there.

i may try and find a usb-dingle with rj45 plug and try it of the wallplug, if there is still no luck i´ll try the usb-key method.

i wonder if this error is kind of special since the machine is bone-stock and i used regular private w-lans i had full access to a broadbandconnection so it should work - even more since i browse the web without issues in before and after that error occured.
orangensaft2010

Postby ncarrol » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:14 pm

Is there a typo in the above post ?

There should be a "/" before "security"

hence: wget -P /security https://.........

The /security is where the develop.sig file will end up.

When you use "su" command you drop into /home/olpc directory (use "pwd" to see your present working directory). If you use "su -l" you drop into /root directory. "security" directory is in the top directory "/"
ncarrol

Postby orangensaft2010 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:49 pm

it does not allow me the 27" command, terminal replies back this was a direcotory.

"pwd" got me the line that i was in "home/olpc", no mentioning about a directory allready.
do i have to go into a directory manually and with another command ( me: noob) ?

"su-l" gets me the reply "2s-l: command not found" (and yes i typed in sU-l)
orangensaft2010

Postby orangensaft2010 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:23 pm

stucky keyboard and fast fingers, sorry.

the command i mentioned in the first sentence, the one i was unable to execute was: "/"

sorts out it could well be a connectivityproblem, the network i currently tried at drops me in after short time only and the browser seems to cache the sites i licked to.

This could also explain why noone replied on the irq, but i don´t yet know the reason for the dropped conenctivity since it never occured to me by knowledge and on other pc´s in said other networks ( all using "g" wireless, is the xo a "b" ?).

seems not to be the real offspring of the problem, i resetted the radio history severl times now and still get dropped of the hotel network i am currently in ( works flawless on my netbook at which i am typing this).
orangensaft2010

Postby ncarrol » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:28 pm

The XO in default configuration is to try "g" and if "b" found to drop back to "b". Your access point must not rotate between channels. It must be fixed per "g" standard to channel 1, 6, or 11. I use the XO default and my access point is always "b" (old linksys access point and set to channel 11) and it works reliably. Occasionally, I will have a new access point show up in my apartment complex and mess up the whole network until the user gets it set up correctly.

If there is not a link or path set to a file or command, then the full path must be used for the file or command. Hence the directory /security must be used. Understand that is what you are using is /security (earlier typo).

Have no other suggestion, other than you are not actually on the network (or site filtered out) or the wget repository is down (happens sometimes).

Best.
ncarrol

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software