Printing and user password

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

Printing and user password

Postby BillWaggener » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:48 pm

I recently got a wireless printer and decided to configure my XO (build 767, Sugar o.82.1, firmware Q2E18) per Tony Pearson's recipe. I downloaded and installed CUPS and then downloaded and installed the print driver and CUPS wrapper from Brother (HL-3070CW). Everything seemed to going fine until I tried to print from several of my activities which support printing, Firefox, Abiword and USBLogo. They seemed to recognize the existence of a postscript printer and did something but nothing came out of the printer. When I went to the CUPS administrator the print jobs were in the queue but were pending because the connection to the printer couldn't be made. When I pointed my browser to the printer URL, 192.168.1.4 the printer home page appears and I can print a test page. When I look at the name assigned to the printer it appends the URL 192.168.1.3 and I concluded the the driver was using the wrong URL and all I had to do was modify the printer driver and change the URL. When I tried to do this the CUPS site asked for authentication of user name and password. I had anticipated this from Pearson's article and had used su to change the root password which it seemed to do. However CUPS was having none of this name and password and I tried all sorts of combinations, like root, user ..admin, user etc to no avail.
At this point I went back to the terminal and removed the password and changed it. In doing so, I noticed a strange thing...bash didn't ask me for a password when I wanted to change the old password. Surely, bash would want a password before doing anything.
At this point I have reached, and probably exceeded, my competence in Linux. Can anybody suggest what is going on here and what it is going to take to talk to my printer???
Bill Waggener
BillWaggener

Re: Printing and user password

Postby ncarrol » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:50 am

This is a really old link (build 650), but it has some useful information:

http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=2425.0

Build 767 (sugar 8.2) now has Rainbow that handles popups asking for user / passwords, so I do not know where the authentication is broken. I have not installed CUPS with 767. It is easier these days for me to use the USB drive as a sneaker net.

Another user had a problem with the password and it was traced to the need of a router password (??)

Best.
ncarrol

Postby BillWaggener » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks for the reference..it does sound like a permissions problem with CUPS. I will try the suggestions and see what happens.
Bill
BillWaggener

Postby BillWaggener » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:33 pm

I have gotten my XO to successfully print to the wirless printer using the info in the references. The thing that made it happen was the suggestion to remark out the sections of the conf file for CUPS. I remarked out the section requiring user input to perform administrative tasks like modifing printer drives and general printer services. I'm not sure which of these solved the problem but when I opened up CUPS to modify my printer the modification were successful and a flood of queued jobs began to print along with several test pages from previous aborted tries.
Now I have printed from Firefox and UCBLogo but, unfortunately, not yet from Abiword. Abiword highlights the Print Preview and Print icons but doesn't print, at least to the wireless printer. This remains an issue for different forum category. Thanks for all of your help..the gods of Linux work in mysterious ways...
Bill
BillWaggener

Postby ncarrol » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:26 pm

You did not mention if you had looked at the cups logs. Here is another version of the above link that was posted in the Tony Pearson thread. It contains the log location.

http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=894.msg19204#msg19204
ncarrol

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software