Updating XO ...XO-1 left behind?

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

Updating XO ...XO-1 left behind?

Postby menon.samir » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:01 pm

My XO is currently running build 802, sugar version 0.82.1, firmware Q2E41

Sugar 0.88 just came out. How do I upgrade to that version of Sugar? I combed the entire wiki for an answer, but nothing turned up. The new version has all sorts of features that I want, but there doesn't seem to be an upgrade. I checked the olpc-update wiki page, but it said I had the latest "Build". (What is a build?) Then I looked at release 10.1.0 with Gnome, but I couldn't find how to upgrade for the XO-1. Is it possible that the Sugar community, (or OLPC, I don't know which) is leaving behind XO-1 users behind? I understand that there are some really great new things about the XO-1.5, but millions of kids still have the XO-1. You can't leave us behind! I'm not trying to be a Negative Nelly, I'm only try help the greater good of Sugar, it's Learners, and it's community. :mrgreen:

~Samir!

EDIT: Mistake in subject
menon.samir

Re: Updating XO ...XO-1 left behind?

Postby ncarrol » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

For sugar 0.84 on XO-1:
http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4768.msg31772#msg31772

Sugar 0.82 is last version supported by OLPC.

Higher versions are via SugarLabs Sugar-on-a-Stick only.
ncarrol

Postby ncarrol » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:47 pm

ncarrol

Postby menon.samir » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:22 am

If something goes wrong during that installation, is there a way to revert back to the old, sugar only build?
menon.samir

Postby menon.samir » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:33 pm

Oh No! :oops:

My XO won't boot after copying the NAND file over!
It says: Boot Failed

What should I do??? Please help!!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops:
menon.samir

Postby ncarrol » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:38 pm

I always keep a USB drive with the update software on it. So, when I mess up while experimenting, I just insert the the drive and power on -- it loads the whole software (10 minutes). Download the update software to a USB drive from the internet using a PC ( 1/2 hour over cable company internet):

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/No-fail_update

You do lose all your settings and data, but you get a fresh start (you do have to use Software Update in Control Panel to get back activities over internet).

Try holding down the "O" game pad key while booting to boot from old copy (this will probably not work if you used NAND copy).
ncarrol

Postby menon.samir » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Halla-luia! :mrgreen: It worked! My little brother was getting upset that he couldn't play with the Measure activity :roll: . Good thing I satisfied him with Etoys on my windows desktop!

Now...will Sugar 0.88 ever be released for the XO, or are the two communities diverging?
Also, any idea why it failed? I did notice two pairs of red dots when I was copying the NAND...

Sorry for the large amount of question... :|

~Samir!
:mrgreen:
menon.samir

Postby ncarrol » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:13 pm

Newest -- planned sugar 0.84 support on XO-1 by OLPC :

http://www.olpcnews.com/laptops/xo-175/multi-touch_sugar_arm_xo_laptop.html
ncarrol

Postby generalludd » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Hello: I have two XO-1 that i got thru the G1G1 program just under the wire (2008). I have updated it from as-delivered (activities in a row at bottom build 656?), to 767 (sometime in 2008) to 802 (in 2009), and currently 859 then 860 (those numbers versus versions confuse me). The Version is 10.1.3. It runs very well as far as it goes. I prefer to use Gnome desktop.
However it is "crippled" by the following:

1. No Flash Player that works. GNASH (supplied) just won't run on many sites. Every attempt to install a Flash Player (10.1...) is the latest runs into a dead end, primarily in the instructions provided by Adobe. Some examples (refer to
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplay ... tructions/

for tar.gz: -- I am told to copy the libflashplayer.so from desktop to the plugins folder of my browser (Firefox is supplied). I have it on the desktop, I can find the folder; but when i try to copy i am told that i "need to be owner". How do i become an owner?. Dead end :evil:

for .rpm: -- I save the rpm file to the desktop, then am told to "navigate to the desktop". How do i do that?. I couldn't even change directory to desktop. Another dead end: :evil:

2. I want to listen to a streaming radio broadcast. I enter the address. It is suggested i open with "Movie Player". Then i receive a message: "the playback of this movie requires a MPEG-1 Layer3(MP3) decoder plug-in which is not installed. Where do i find instructions, specific to this version not generalities, to install this plug-in (that is so basic--why wasn't it there to begin with :twisted: )

and so time-wasting frustrations go :cry:

Otherwise the lastest build/version for the XO-1 appears to operate OK. Most sites that don't require the above mentioned plug-ins seem OK, though slow. (i'll probably encounter other dead ends that keep it from running like my MAC :mrgreen: :lol: )

For more infor or misinformation check out:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.3
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Adobe_Flash

bye for now: hope this is posted in the right place, if not advise.

note: profile, below has out-of-date info as far as XO is concerned. Once upon a time Flash worked. :roll:
Mac Mini,Snow Leopard OS 10.6.2; iMAC OS 10.4.11, Cableone.net Wireless via Linksys Router. 10Mb down/1MB up connection.
Two XOs, build 860
Firefox & Epiphany browsers
Flash Player 10.2..
People perish for lack of knowledge
(revised 02/28/11).
generalludd

Postby generalludd » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Afterthought: since i can no longer edit the previous post. I failed to mention that after you get to the wiki subject, you will find my contributions under the Discussions tab. :oops:
Mac Mini,Snow Leopard OS 10.6.2; iMAC OS 10.4.11, Cableone.net Wireless via Linksys Router. 10Mb down/1MB up connection.
Two XOs, build 860
Firefox & Epiphany browsers
Flash Player 10.2..
People perish for lack of knowledge
(revised 02/28/11).
generalludd

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software