Sugar on a stick early years?

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

Sugar on a stick early years?

Postby alecb415 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:28 am

I work in a primary school with children age 5-6. the children are taught ict from age 4. we currently use windows (of course) and it is all but useless. I recently started testing out sugar, and I am completely blown away, the platform is ingenious for children in this age group, i am extremely keen to implement this for at least the early years at this school. however, there are a couple of issues that i am wonder how if possible to solve. first, is it possible to save say a document for example, and more importantly change where that document gets saved, is it possible conect sugar to an existing network? also wifi drivers? is it possible to setup different wifidrivers? i know that non of this can be done through the sugar interface , however i believe you can install fedora packages, so is it possible to do it through that avenue. thank you

Alec
alecb415

Re: Sugar on a stick early years?

Postby sandy|XO » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:44 am

Alec,

For sure, you will find many Sugar Activities that will work for the early primary school years.

Sugar on a Stick should allow some sharing of documents on a wired or wireless network.

You can find more info and fellow collaborators at:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick

Sandy
sandy|XO

Re: Sugar on a stick early years?

Postby generalludd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:33 pm

There is an activity that you can download that enables you to connect to an OLPC from another computer. I believe it is called ???VNC. When this activity runs, then another computer can connect to it and see what is on the display screen. The other computer, MAC for example, can use a program called "Chicken of the VNC", and is started from the terminal. Both computers must be on the same server. It has been a long time since i used it. You might find it useful.

Regards:
Mac Mini,Snow Leopard OS 10.6.2; iMAC OS 10.4.11, Cableone.net Wireless via Linksys Router. 10Mb down/1MB up connection.
Two XOs, build 860
Firefox & Epiphany browsers
Flash Player 10.2..
People perish for lack of knowledge
(revised 02/28/11).
generalludd

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software