olpc-update fails due to missing os.zip

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

olpc-update fails due to missing os.zip

Postby ensslen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:11 am

Hi all,

I'm running "sudo /usr/sbin/olpc-update --usb" to version 852

I get the following error:

Code: Select all
unzip: cannot find or open /versions/pristine/a04af11c40ace4e1bee507062fd83f3a/boot/os.zip

followed by a traceback.

The stack ends with:

Code: Select all
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '['/usr/bin/unzip', '-qq', '/versions/pristine/a04af11c40ace4e1bee507062fd83f3a/boot/os.zip', '-d', '/tmp/tmpZzLM46']' returned non-zero exit status 9.

Of course, there is no os.zip in that directory, though there is a runos.zip with an alias actos.zip. The directory and everything in it were created by the install process, which runs without error prior to this point.

"df -h" reports "Size 7.7G Used 6.3G Avail 1.4G" for the target drive, after everything has been rsynched onto it, so I doubt disk space is the issue.

I've tried the install 3 times and it ends the same each time.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Steven
ensslen

Re: olpc-update fails due to missing os.zip

Postby sandy|XO » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Steven,

Can you clarify what version you are updating from?

Can you attach a fuller traceback?

I am just wondering how a regular olpc-update ( ie not from a USB ) goes on your XO?

Sandy
sandy|XO

Postby ensslen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:04 pm

I'm updating from build 705.

I just tried the online update, and it failed in the same way. I am reluctant to use it as my internet is usually not reliable enough to download anything sizeable without resumable downloads, a couple hundred megs per day.

I'll capture the full stack next time I try the update.

Thanks,

Steven
ensslen

Postby ncarrol » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:49 pm

You may want to read:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/10.1.2

My read is that you may have to update to 8.2.1 first before using olpc-update to os852 (10.1.2).

Also, I have more trouble updating from 705 with various "off the shelf" drives :roll: .

Do you need to update (i.e., preserve your data) or can you just do a clean install ? (I do understand that internet problems may prevent this.)

Are you accessible by postal service -- maybe we can just send you a USB drive with the operating system on it.
ncarrol

Postby ensslen » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:35 pm

I don't need to do the update. I'll copy my data then try the full install when I get more quota for downloads (in about three weeks). I'll post my results then.

Thanks,

Steven
ensslen

Postby ncarrol » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:17 am

My read is that you will still have to update the firmware to at least some intermediary (current is Q2e45). This means installing the Q2e45.rom or simply doing an intermediary clean install to 8.2.1, which has a later firmware. In any case, it appears to me that you can not jump directly from a 705 system to os852. My $.02
ncarrol

Postby sandy|XO » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:58 pm

A firmware update may well work out and will not normally have any effect your data as long as you do not lose power during the update. So look to these pages for updating, see: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_firmware

Also, look here http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Olpc-update to see if you need to actually update olpc-update itself.

Over time, let us know what results you come up with.
sandy|XO

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software