Ubuntu: switching between Gnome <> Sugar?

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

Ubuntu: switching between Gnome <> Sugar?

Postby Petros_Polonos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 pm

I am now setting up my home environment for training and developing network fo XOs. I have successfully installed two Ubuntu Sugar Remix installations at home laptops, one in parallel with Windows 7, one from the scratch on AcerAspireOne. Now, I got stuck with my own laptop. It's Ubuntu 10.10 (Gnome) with fully encrypted LVM, running on Dell XPS M1330. Sugar on the Stick fails when booting. Ubuntu Sugar Remix liveCD works, but I cannot go beyond basic functionalities. I am running out of ideas...

Is there a way set up Sugar etc.. as an additional interface, to be selected (dynamically or at the login time) as an alternative to Gnome?

Or,although it is more risky, is there a safe way to install alternative OS (Ubuntu Sugar Remix) within LVM system?

Or (while it's really scary), to resize LVM partitions and set up USR outside of it?

I am not that experienced with Linux, so any suggestion will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Petros.
Petros_Polonos

Re: Ubuntu: switching between Gnome <> Sugar?

Postby Petros_Polonos » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 am

Please ignore/remove this topic. I just had no sleep yesterday. Today I just installed Sugar as an alternate GDM and it works fine, I guess. 8 hrs of sleep and morning green tea make miracles.
Petros_Polonos

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software