upgrading 656 Q2D07

Discuss Sugar, upgrades and developer perspectives.

upgrading 656 Q2D07

Postby frogger » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:30 am

Hello
I am most frustrated in finding instructions on upgrade. I have 656 build Q2D07. I think this is X01 not XO 1.5? I have found many instructions in the forum but they do not say the same things. So I do not know what to follow.
Build is 656, this is Operating system, correct?
Firmware is Q2D07, this is hardware BIOS, correct?
What is sugar and does that get upgrade too?
Do I need a developer key?
Do I upgrade the 656 to recent build first before upgrading firmware?
I think it says I need to put current build on a USB first to install. is that correct? Or I also think it says I can't put the most recent build on this XO.
So, What is the most recent OS build I can put on XO1?
How do I do it, step by step, or where is step by step answer in the forum for this?
What is the most recent firmware I can put on X01?
How do I do it, step by step, or where is step by step answer in the forum for this?

I can do step by step very easily but can not find a step by step for this exact thing.

Thank you very much for help. :mrgreen:
frogger

Re: upgrading 656 Q2D07

Postby sandy|XO » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:43 am

You don't need a developer's key, and the best line-by-line directions and caveats is found at the support wiki....start here for the latest software and firmware update, which includes Sugar.

See: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/11.3.0

Sugar is the system software and you can read more about it at: http://www.sugarlabs.org/
sandy|XO

Postby frogger » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:00 am

I wish there was more helpful. I made too many mistakes doing this and froze machine because instructions were not clear in one very important thing.

In my question, can you upgrade old system to newest software and firmware? YES. But here is the big thing.
IF YOU HAVE an older machine 1.0 like this, UPGRADE firmware FIRST.

Here are latest versions in this link.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_fir ... _USB_drive

If you make mistake and don't do it, you will freeze machine. BUT, just do firmware again, then software again, then it will be ok.
frogger

Postby frogger » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:45 am

Also, I forgot this.
When you upgrade from 650 or other old builds on a 1.0 machine, you can't just jump ahead to other upgrades. After upgrading firmware, you must upgrade the next upgrade one at a time. Then when that boots successful, upgrade the next upgrade. It takes a while, but there is not enough room on 1.0 for jumping ahead on upgrades, and also the upgrades are too different from these old ones. So only do one upgrade each time.
frogger

Postby ncarrol » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:48 pm

Frogger,

There are two ways to update your system. You can use the update command or you can do a clean install.

The former preserves your data and the later "blows everything away". The former has required passing though intermediate steps and is fraught with difficulties.

The later is a one step process from ANY version. You can go from even the very first version 650 to the newest version 11.3.0 in one step.

Strongly recommend you save any data you need to save to USB drive and then do a clean install as given in the reference provided by Sandy. Using a PC (or Mac), it involves only two clicks to download two files to a USB drive (rename one file), which is then used to update the XO by holding down all four game keys as you power on.
ncarrol

Postby dani9678 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:22 pm

I have an xo-1 and tried the above but it ends up saying that "Boot failed" and says to power off. I did exactly as the instructions stated. I formated my thumb drive and copied both files over and renaming the one to fs.zip.
dani9678

Postby dani9678 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:55 am

I found out how to access terminal to see what version of software that I'm running and it turns out that I to am also running version 656. Still unable to upgrade.
Anybody have any ideas?

Matt
dani9678

Postby ncarrol » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 am

Generally, if you get a a "boot fail" immediately, it is a problem with the USB drive -- there are numerous reports of some USB drives that just don't work.

But, more information is needed -- when do you get the error, how did you format drive, etc. . USB drives should work straight out of the box and not require reformatting. I buy the ScanDisk or PNY at Walmart (generally lowest price) and have never had a failure using out of the box (I delete any "utility" files the manufacturer puts on the drive).

Also, the battery must be fully charged and the AC plugged in to complete the update properly. After the update, remove all power (battery and AC) for a few seconds to remove old parameters stored in the hardware.

If you still have a problem, you can get a loan of a known good USB drive with software. See http://xoshare.org links such as Mid-Michigan Repair Center.
ncarrol

Postby dani9678 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:28 am

The failed message appears after I have plugged in the usb drive, held down all four buttons on right of screen, pressed power, released buttons when it says to, it then says that the date and time are invalid, then proceeds to boot and lists 3 more lines that start with "nands" ( The screen doesn't stay put long enough for me to write down what the 3 lines say) and then it says that boot failed and press the power key to turn off. The only thing I can think of is that the on board clock date and time are wrong and that could be causing a problem. Do you think this could be the cause? I don't know how to set the current date and time.

Oh, the brand of usb drive is a Kingston data traveler 2.0. The reason I formatted it was because it said that it had to be formatted to fat32 prior to using it.

Matt
dani9678

Postby ncarrol » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:36 am

Fixing the time is easy.

All your "boot fail" information / symptoms suggests a problem reading the drive (problem with drive) :
(see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/11.3.0 ). I have had some drives that would work on the XO to store data and even load firmware, but would not work for the install -- cause not known. The only solution I can suggest is a different model / brand of drive or obtain the loan suggested above. This a problem that has been reported periodically and you do not have to update firmware separately for any G1G1 XO's ( as mentioned in for some firmware in the release notes) .

You do not have a developer key installed or security disabled -- right ? (may require continuing to hold down "X" game key for those)

You can set the time using Terminal Activity with your current build. You should set at least the date before you update or it may cause problems.

Run Terminal Activity. Become "superuser" with su command. Set date /time with
(command examples are):

date -s 201203013
date -s 13:14:00

The date error will not show on next boot.
ncarrol

Postby dani9678 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:59 am

ok, I was able to get the date and time set. Thanks. I tried holding the x key down but that didn't work either. Apparently those keys are disabled when it is locked. I want to get a key so that I can remove the limitations but I have to have a usb stick that it will recognize. I have noticed that when I leave the drive plugged in and after powering the xo off, then plug it into my computer, I find that the xo had written a folder and stored some files on the usb stick.

The only other stick I have is an 8gb U3 Cruzer Micro thumb drive.

Matt
dani9678

Postby ncarrol » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:47 am

Drives with "U3 or U4" security installed will not work (per wiki).

Send me a personal message (PM) with a mailing address and I will sent drive with software (on loan).
ncarrol

Postby dani9678 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:25 pm

How much will it cost to ship?

Does it have the key to unlock it?

I know one of the ways to get the update is to use the wifi connection but the problem is that the xo isn't up to date with my router. I use wpa2 tkip security and I think I read somewhere that the xo-1 can only use wep security and that a firmware upgrade would update it so that it could work with newer router security. Is this true?
When I go to neighborhood view, my router shows up on the screen but that is as far as it will go.

I'm going to be giving this to my niece when she gets a tad older. she won't be 3 until September. I'm just trying to get it up to today's standards as much as possible.

Thanks for all the help you've been giving.

Matt
dani9678

Postby ncarrol » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Cost: just your postage for returning a large envelope -- about $ 1.75 . We get you running and you can figure out USB problem later.

Firmware update (included in update software) should get you WPA.
Have to know more about your router. You do have to click on the icon in neighborhood view to connect (any software version) and supply any key / passphrase required by wireless router.

You will be really pleased with the Gome desktop with Firefox that is in the new software version.

Glad to hear about niece to use. Our local volunteer group supports XO's used in a local third grade - wish I could send you some of the picture of the class with their XO's (but privacy issue).
ncarrol

Postby dani9678 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:26 pm

OK, sounds good. As for the router, after I select my network and enter the password, it just sits there with the wifi symbol occasionally blinking. The router is a Linksys wrt10n.

Thanks again,

Matt
Last edited by culseg on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: < removed personal info...address >
dani9678

Next

Return to Sugar, Linux and System Software