Midnight Commander

Share uncovered secrets, useful notes, guides and hacks!

Midnight Commander

Postby bfayette » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:03 am

For whoever is interested, I got GNU Midnight Commander running on mine. I used the binaries from a Fedora 2 distribution and it seems to run fine. Complains about a missing syntax file when I run the editor, but that's about it.

Now I can do some REAL damage.
bfayette

Postby peter » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:42 pm

Why did you choose the FC2 binaries? Was it the kernel, or did other versions not work?
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Postby bfayette » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:32 pm

peter;193 wrote:Why did you choose the FC2 binaries? Was it the kernel, or did other versions not work?

I have an FC2 box here. I just pulled them off and it worked.
bfayette

Postby bfayette » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:46 pm

If you have an upload area, I could post them. Midnight commander is a fairly simple text based file manager and editor. You just run it from a command line and it gives you the ability to conveniently browse the file system, move, copy, view, edit, etc. This is something that seems to be missing from the Sugar based apps.

I think some of the included apps are neat, but I am not impressed by sugar. I think most kids will outgrow it in about 3 days, maybe a week, but only if this this the first thing they ever saw that ran on electricity.

I can't figure out how to save bookmarks in the web browser or change the home page. Is this really the way it is or am I not getting something?
bfayette

Postby peter » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:19 am

Thanks, I got it installed using yum once I had wireless going.

In terminal:

Code: Select all
$ su -
# yum -y install mc
# exit
$ mc
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Return to Tips, Tricks & Tutorials