How to read eBooks and PDF files

Share uncovered secrets, useful notes, guides and hacks!

How to read eBooks and PDF files

Postby peter » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:51 pm

The Read activity can be used to download eBooks and PDF files.

Downloading the Read Activity
  • Visit the the Read activity wiki page in your browser. Follow the installation instructions.
  • This involves clicking on the Read.xo link on this page and then clicking on another Read.xo at the top of the page.
  • When the download is complete, click on the "OK" button.
  • Go to your Journal, click on the Read.xo activity, and choose "Resume".
  • The read activity should now be installed.

Reading an eBook
  • The instructions on the Read activity wiki page say it all.
  • To read a document, download the document to your Journal. CLick on the document. Click on the "Resume" icon in the top right hand corner of the screen to "Resume" the Read activity on the document.
If you have any questions, ask them here. We'll be happy to help!
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

Re: How to read eBooks and PDF files

Postby ylsf » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:17 am

Is there an easy way to launch the read application via terminal? I want to setup MC (Master commander) to call on the reader program whenever I open a .pdf from MC interface. I don't really like Journal (especially for large directories)
ylsf

Postby Ben James Ben » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
#
# readit
#
# Runs the Read Activity from the command line.  A specified URI
# is used.  The Read Activity is run in the background.
#
# Usage:
# readit [URI]
#
# Example:
# readit "file:///usr/share/activities/worldfactbook-maps/asia.pdf"
#
# This script is basically a shortcut for the following command:
# SUGAR_BUNDLE_PATH=/usr/share/activities/Read.activity sugar-activity readactivity.ReadActivity -b org.laptop.sugar.ReadActivity -a fakeactivityid -u [uri] &

SUGAR_BUNDLE_PATH=/usr/share/activities/Read.activity
_ACTIVITY=readactivity.ReadActivity
_BUNDLE=org.laptop.sugar.ReadActivity
_ACTIVITY_ID=fakeactivityid

sugar-activity ${_ACTIVITY} -b ${_BUNDLE} -a ${_ACTIVITY_ID} -u $@ &

Example of running the script:
Code: Select all
$ chmod 755 readit
$ ./readit "file:///usr/share/activities/worldfactbook-maps/asia.pdf"

I'm not sure what problems, if any, using a fake activity id might cause with Sugar. I suspect that using the same id more than once at the same time might cause problems.
Ben James Ben

Losing my place

Postby dpbsmith » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:13 pm

I typically read books downloaded from manybooks.net with the PDF, Large Print option.

1) When I select "Keep" from the Activity menu, I always get an error message simply saying that there has been a "Keep error," every single time, no exceptions. Why?

2) Since I cannot "Keep," I simply Stop the application. When I Resume the journal entry, I get capricious and unpredictable results with regard to where the book re-opens. Sometimes it does resume at the page I was reading when I stopped, but more often it loses my place and re-opens at page 1. This is very frustrating, particularly since I can't find any Bookmark feature.

How can I resume reading where I left off?
dpbsmith

Postby jess_bikerider » Tue May 06, 2008 7:40 pm

I change the name of the book I am reading to ["title" page number], which means when I reopen at page 1, activity gives me the title of the book and the last page i was on. Not really a fix, more like a go around....
but it works for me.
jess_bikerider

Re: Losing my place

Postby jakeosx » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:21 am

dpbsmith wrote:I typically read books downloaded from manybooks.net with the PDF, Large Print option.

1) When I select "Keep" from the Activity menu, I always get an error message simply saying that there has been a "Keep error," every single time, no exceptions. Why?

2) Since I cannot "Keep," I simply Stop the application. When I Resume the journal entry, I get capricious and unpredictable results with regard to where the book re-opens. Sometimes it does resume at the page I was reading when I stopped, but more often it loses my place and re-opens at page 1. This is very frustrating, particularly since I can't find any Bookmark feature.

How can I resume reading where I left off?

i am pretty sure this is a known bug with Read. i've not had success either, i just simply have to remember basically where i was. i haven't upgrated to update.1 yet, so don't know if has been addressed.

i too use manybooks.net, great site for this purpose.
jakeosx

Postby palani11in » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:33 pm

download from websites such as scribd.comImage
palani11in

Postby danieltooop » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi guys, i followed these steps,
This is given in wiki pages..
* To use the reader, download the .xo file shown above, using the Browse activity.
* When it has downloaded, save it to your Journal.
* Go to your Journal, click on the Read.xo activity, and choose "Resume".
* The read activity should now be installed.
But, i tried this things but read activity is not installed? what is the problem?

danieltooop

Postby LeonidAdams » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:24 pm

I change the name of the book I am reading to ["title" page number], which means when I reopen at page 1, activity gives me the title of the book and the last page i was on. Not really a fix, more like a go around....
but it works for me.
thanks for so intresting solution :D
LeonidAdams

Postby elizajohn12 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:27 am

Hello Peter,
This is John from UK and reading books is one of my hobby. So I always search e-books on Internet.But sometimes I face problem in downloading and reading e-books. But by links, which is given by you, is becoming very useful to me. Therefore I can download and read e-books very easily. Because of this help, I am thankful to you.and you can also download e-books by searching on google website. Thank you so much for your help.
acai berry
elizajohn12

Postby carseats » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:17 am

I change the name of the book I am reading to ["title" page number], which means when I reopen at page 1, activity gives me the title of the book and the last page i was on. Not really a fix, more like a go around.... :twisted:
carseats

Return to Tips, Tricks & Tutorials