Internet Radio

Share uncovered secrets, useful notes, guides and hacks!

Internet Radio

Postby sambot » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:59 pm

Flash works. Yay!

How do I get radio, as in streaming broadcasts, to work?
sambot

Re: Internet Radio

Postby LarryGB » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:14 am

For beginning linux commands - http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/index.html
For intermediate linux commands - add /interm/index.html
For advanced linux commands - add /advanced/index.html
LarryGB

Postby sambot » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi Larry. I followed the link, and it says to have opera installed. Is this absolutely necessary? I know there is a media player installed. I accessed it through the terminal, but it does nothing for radio. i want to be able to listen to cbcwhilw on the road.

Open terminal > type totem & full media player

I'm discovering the strangest things. Media player only wants to play dvds.
sambot

Postby blinky » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:11 am

I had a look at that link. It seems a bit technical - before I struggle through it, will the end result allow me to use the BBC Radio 4 "listen again" programmes (for example)?
blinky

Postby blinky » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:43 pm

I just installed opera, went to the bbc radio 4 'listen again' page and tried it. The BBC player opens, but it won't play because there's no real media codec thingies (whatever) on my xo.

Is there a simple way to get this working?
blinky

Postby sambot » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:15 pm

There is no simple way for any of this to work, unless you are a Linux Master. I have now reached major discouragement. I upgraded to latest build & nothing works. No flash, and the usb device seems unreadable. On the plus side, I still have the ebook I downloaded from Gutenberg. Maybe i should check that too.

I have spent hours and hours and hours reading through posts, taking notes, trying things. As there are no complete, clear instructions written for a rank beginner audience, it is necessary to try, try,try again, & hope you don't #*&% the laptop up, or you can just suck it up and live with minimal functionality, or you can hire someone familiar with open source software to goose up your laptop to your specs.

I want to be able to have flash working reasonably well, have a bit more functions working on the internet and be able to listen to internet radio. So far I'm zero for zero.
sambot

Postby blinky » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi Sambot

I know how you feel.

Have you installed opera yet? The internet being such a big part of life and the installed browse activity being so basic compared to what most of us are used to, you're going to find the xo a totally different machine with opera. I read about opera for the xo being buggy and the installation process is a bit of a pain, but it's well worth the effort, and it doesn't appear buggy, at least not for me so far touch wood.

As for the USB stick not showing up, have you tried transferring (saving) its contents to your tower pc, then formatting the usb stick? I have a feeling it may do the trick.
blinky

Postby opus345 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:09 am

If you have Flash installed, then you should be able to access Pandora. I use it at home and at work. It learns about your likes/dislikes by your selections. Uses Music Genome Project (400 attributes). Pretty cool.

Hmmm, a url would help. http://www.pandora.com

Opus
opus345

Postby sambot » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:59 pm

blinky: I finally got opera loaded. Wht a difference.it took a few ties, and i can'tseem to get the keyboard shortcutsto work, but other than that it's fabulous.

i have the whtever it's called in the journal for fluendo, but i have no idea as to what to do with them. Some posts recommend something or other. The thing is,the olpc laptop does have a player loaded on it (totem), but aside from launching it, I don't know what to do to with it.

Opus; i looked at pandora, but it is not available outside of the US, and I am in Canada. Back to fluendo I guess. See how lucky you americans are? We don't even get the 1 year complimentary internet access either.

As for the usbkey, i've used it before for files with my pc. Just how does one go about formatting a usb key anyway?

i am hoping some time to find some kind linux soul who could help me solve just a few little issues. If/when i ever get radio to work, I will certainly let you know.
sambot

Postby blinky » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:01 pm

formatting a usb key is easy (assuming you have a windows pc) - just right click on the drive letter in 'my computer' and choose 'format'.

Having opera makes such a difference. Another revelation for me, after a bit of culture shock and frustration with the xo and the lack of user manual at first, has been the 'deluge' torrent client. I have a pc not connected to the internet, so I've been using the xo (and a usb stick) to do some downloading recenty, and I'm regularly getting download speeds of 200 - 300 kbps. I've never seen speeds like that before on any pc - so surprised.
blinky

Postby sambot » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Blinky,

Thanks for the suggestion for formatting the usb stick. Shall have to go up to the computer lair & give it a try. The laptop sits in the dining room for all to torture test it, the laptop that is.

Opera has been great. My only complaints are having to resize the screen, even tho in the preferences I keep telling it I want bigger text. Something is not working properly in it, 'cause in Terminal, when I load up opera, I get a message that one of the plugins is disabled.

I believe one of my problems with streaming radio, is the station I want to listen to requires Windows Media Player. They are experimenting with open source software fore some of the podcasts and streaming broadcasts in Eastern Canada. Sorry, i don't want to listen to Toronto radio in the west. Fussy, I know.

(I get to write longer messages now that i invested in a roll-up, portable keyboard). :lol:
sambot

Postby blinky » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Hi Sambot

You shoudn't need to fire up terminal when you want to use opera- you can have an opera icon.

Instructions here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Opera#Installing_Opera

(Installing opera as an activity)

Don't know why you're having problems with text size - it works fine on my xo. Maybe it's something to do with the build you're using. Having big text without crashing (as Browse often did) is another of opera's big attractions. Opera asked me today if I wanted to upgrade to a newer version - I declined, but maybe that would fix your problems...
blinky

Postby sambot » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi blinky,

Yes, I know I can install the icon. It's just one of those things I still have to do, like change the cat box.

I have read that if you reflash when you upgrade, you improve functionality. Not an option, as the reflash download on my pc times out, even though I have high speed. I'm trolling around to see if I can find a friendly linux master who wants to play in the XO sandbox and get this baby working the way I want it to. In the meantime, I'm trying my best to get as much as I can out of the machine.

As for opera, I just keep clicking in the make it bigger button. When I reply to an email, there is no magnification offered,so that window is like a 3 point font.
sambot

Postby jessierottersman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:53 pm

I've been trying to listen to the online Sirius radio on mine and cannot get it to work. I get to the site and can click on the station, but no sound comes out. I have flash already installed and the volume on things such as youtube work fine, any suggestions? Thanks!
jessierottersman

Postby Markus Krötzsch » Fri May 02, 2008 2:58 am

I have now found and documented a simple way to use Helix for playing streaming media in Opera. It works nicely (I tried only real media so far, but other supported codecs should work similarly). For details, see the OLPC Wiki page for Helix: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Helix_media_activity

With this, the xo is finally ready to serve as a light-weight streaming media server or soundbridge. Further media server applications would of course still be useful ...
Markus Krötzsch

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks & Tutorials