deleting multiple journal entries

Share uncovered secrets, useful notes, guides and hacks!

deleting multiple journal entries

Postby chricton » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:27 pm

I admit. I am quite new to Sugar and the OLPC, but I've figured out several things except: How can I delete more than one journal entry at a time?
chricton

Re: deleting multiple journal entries

Postby franco » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Perhaps someone will answer this with the magic bullet for you, but the only way I know is described below

The Journal is designed, as far as I know, only for one at a time deleting (for the average user).

The journal entries are kept in the directory store. If you know linux, then you can find it, but the entries are coded files and you won't know what you are actually deleting without doing some more linux digging. If you want to clear everything out, then you can do that and the store directory will be recreated when you do a new boot. If you don't know enough linux to be comfortable doing this, then forget it. It is safer to delete the entries one at at time in Journal.

Journal will delete older entries itself when it fills up and newer entries are added. It's only two mouse clicks, several for each delete, 16-20 a minute, doing it via the Journal. And it allows you to be selective.
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Postby chricton » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:52 pm

Thank you. That is pretty much what I came to understand as well. Now if I could become more comfortable with the mousepad. Years of Thinkpad trackpoint usage and i wonder how anyone could like the mousepad. But hen, that is what tey say about the trackpoint. :D
chricton

Postby franco » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:24 pm

I know what you mean, crichton. I notice that my grandson doesn't complain about the mousepad, but personally I can't stand any mousepads. I bought an inexpensive USB optical mouse, a Memorex, smaller than the usual mice, and I use it 90% of the time. I am not into having a Third World experiences with stuff designed for kids. :D
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Postby kentsin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:25 pm

The journal should be designed to be not alterable.

The computer which was designed like a magic which no thing is impossible should be a history. computer should have a archival storage which can only write into but not able to alter.

Why one want to delete entries from the journal? You may got a lots of reasons, but it should not happen.
kentsin

Postby franco » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:41 pm

kentsin,

The journal is designed to be cleaned out when one doesn't need the entries any longer, just like any computer since computers were designed. The journal entries are just files. One deletes files that are no longer necessary and which clutter one's view of what is necessary and worth keeping.

I notice from some of your other posts that you completely miss the point of the XO and it's capabilities.

Franco
franco
Support Team

Postby Moto » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:51 am

I get a message at start up that my journal is full. Since much time has gone by has anybody discoverred a way to delete more than one journal entry at a time?

I would love to be able to delete them all and start fresh without having to do an entire re-install of the sofftware.

Anybody have any ideas?
Moto

Postby je_dryst03 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:06 am

How do i delete a large mltiple file when it will just hang out....
je_dryst03

Postby Nayantara » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:55 pm

Get to the Console using the activity indicated by the $ icon, and enter the following command to clean out all the journal entries:
Code: Select all
rm -r /home/olpc/.sugar/default/datastore/store

Caution, you can cause catastrophic damage to the XO OS with incorrect use of the above command.

Moto wrote:I get a message at start up that my journal is full. Since much time has gone by has anybody discoverred a way to delete more than one journal entry at a time?

I would love to be able to delete them all and start fresh without having to do an entire re-install of the sofftware.

Anybody have any ideas?
Gave 13-Nov-2007, Got 3-Jan-2008.
Nayantara

Postby aaronaugusts » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:17 am

That most users will first have to edit from Public/Friends to Private, and then delete.
To delete multiple entries or all of the entries in the Journal folder:

1. Click Journal.
2. On the View menu, click Current View, and then click Entry List. In this view the Journal items are displayed in a table view, which allows you to select multiple items.
3. Perform one of the following steps, as applicable:
* To delete multiple entries, click to select the items that you want to remove, and then click Delete.
* To delete all of the entries, click Select All on the Edit menu, and then click Delete.
aaronaugusts

Postby Narek » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:18 am

Hello!!!
I have XO 1.5 and want to erase all data from the journal. I know that there is command (maybe not one) that is being typed in terminal for erasing all data from the journal. But cant remember that command. Can somebody help?
Thanks....
Narek

Postby ncarrol » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:06 pm

Try the Activity : Sugar File Manager :

http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4494
ncarrol

Return to Tips, Tricks & Tutorials