Hello and Question about Turtle Art

Share uncovered secrets, useful notes, guides and hacks!

Hello and Question about Turtle Art

Postby jen&cats » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:09 pm

Hello, All. I just received my XO this past week. No complaints; I ordered on the very last day, and my XO has arrived with the newest build. I'm certain I'll have many questions and so far, all of the help and support that has been generated on various sites by earlier users has been extremely useful to me. I have a very specific question and this seemed like the best place to post it: when one is using Turtle Art, is there a way to create a command (don't know if that's the technical term) that would cause the turtle to slow down, so that the drawing does not appear all at once and one could actually watch the turtle trace it out step by step ? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by jen&cats on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jen&cats

Re: Hello and Question

Postby Sarah Elkins » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:46 pm

I don't know, but you may get more of a response if you re-post with "Turtle Art" in the Subject.

Enjoy your new XO!
Sarah Elkins

Re: Hello and Question about Turtle Art

Postby jen&cats » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:13 pm

True enough, Sarah. Done ! I added "Turtle Art" to the title of this post.
jen&cats

Postby mvalent » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:07 pm

I am also interested by Turtle Art and I am interested to know if you found some documentation somewhere... I feel, doing something more than "forward 10", "left 10", definitely needs some explanations and I don't find anything anywhere !!!
mvalent

Postby Sarah Elkins » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi mvalent,

See http://justwriteclick.com/2008/03/02/ta ... classroom/ for a little bit about using Turtle Art.

Also, see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Turtle_Art_student_guide -- it's a wiki page, so you could edit it to add whatever you find. I'm about to add a couple of suggestions there.

From a demo I saw on Turtle Art, the fun bit is stringing commands together.
Sarah Elkins

Postby IanO » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:27 pm

There is a "Wait" block on the Flow palette you can insert to pause for a specified number of milliseconds(?)
IanO

Postby jen&cats » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:35 pm

IanO--- Cool. I hadn't seen that (or didn't know what it was for). I'll fool around with it and see what happens. Thanks !
jen&cats

Postby franco » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi users of Turtle Art,

I think it's great that you are attempting to become proficient in the programs for the kids. I will be using your work, I hope, when my grandson is old enough to use my machine, maybe in a year or less. Keep up the good work.

Franco
If I give advice it is usually because I did it / tested it successfully on my XO. I will warn you otherwise.
franco
Support Team

Postby jen&cats » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 pm

Yes, sad isn't it ? :-) I intend to turn my niece loose on it, and I'm sure she'll have me moving the turtle more proficiently in no time!
jen&cats

Postby samuelscott » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:59 am

Thank your for sharing this wonderful story. I find your post very informative.
I am very excited to be a part of this Forum and look forward to bringing Value to it
samuelscott

Return to Tips, Tricks & Tutorials