Cisco VPNClient

Share uncovered secrets, useful notes, guides and hacks!

Cisco VPNClient

Postby ektoric » Thu May 22, 2008 3:33 pm

I have recently compiled and installed the `vpnclient-linux-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz` on my Update 1 XO.

More than just the kernel headers, the cisco vpnclient is a kernel module that also needs the kernel sources to compile. These are provided in the `kernel-devel` package. The following are steps I did to compile the `vpnclient-linux-4.8.00.0490-k9.tar.gz` package. All of the instructions are done as root (`su -`)

1) Development Environment.
Make sure you have a development environment. This means being able to run make and gcc.
Code: Select all
yum install make gcc

1a) Note that it installs `kernel-headers-<some.kernel.version>`. Jot this down for later.

2) Verify the current running kernel
uname -r

3) kernel-devel package
Install the right kernel-devel package for the running kernel. Normally, you would be able to just do
yum install kernel-devel

But double check that you would be installing the same version as the running kernel. You may need to be more specific. Mine is 2.6.22, so:
yum install kernel-devel-2.6.22

p.s. Depending on which OS version you have, this may be the most difficult step, or a trivial step.

4) Compile
In your vpnclient source directory, run
make

4a) Troubleshooting
If the kernel headers installed in (1a) is not the same, then that is one potential for problems. You may need to uninstall it
rpm -e kernel-headers

and manually get one that matches your running kernel.

5) Installing
In your source directory should be a `vpn_install` script.
./vpn_install

6) Profile
Copy your company/school/org provided profile `Blarg.pcf` to the profiles directory
cp Blarg.pcf /etc/opt/cisco-vpnclient/Profiles/

7) Start it up!
Start the service and connect
/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start
/opt/cisco-vpnclient/bin/vpnclient connect Blarg

You can optionally run that in the background and recover your shell prompt, but I personally like to keep that around so that I can just CTRL-C to "log off" my vpn.

7a) If during your `vpn_install` script you opted to have your service start every time, then the next time you reboot you will not need to `/etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start`.
ektoric
Support Team

Re: Cisco VPNClient

Postby obc_spike » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:53 pm

Hello, and thanks for setting up this tutorial.

As you intimated, step 4 is a problem for me and I haven't seen details addressed in other OLPC + Cisco VPN threads. My setup goes like.

1. yum install make gcc (success, adds kernel-headers-2.6.23.1-21.fc7)
2. uname -r (success, 2.6.22-20071231.2.olpc.83e0631da83a269)
3. yum install kernel-devel
- if I don't add a version: "2.6.23.1-21.fc7 is already installed"
- if I add version like 2.6.22 or 2.6.22-20071231.2.olpc.83e0631da83a269: "No package kernel-headers-[version name]"
4. make (fails, "*** /lib/modules/2.6.22-20071231.2.olpc.83e0631da83a269/build: No such file or directory. Stop.")

The message from 3 and 4 don't clarify for me what's needed. Should I be trying to add 2.6.23 headers (as listed in the make and gcc install) instead of the active 2.6.22 version? If so...how?
obc_spike

Postby ektoric » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:56 pm

The only thing I can suggest is to upgrade your firmware. I know that when I first tried this at release 650, I had a lot more problems. I am currently on 703 (update.1) and was able to get the appropriate headers and devel packages just fine.
ektoric
Support Team

Postby obc_spike » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks, I'll make the jump to 703 and give it a go.
obc_spike

Return to Tips, Tricks & Tutorials