bookmarks not saved in firefox

Share uncovered secrets, useful notes, guides and hacks!

bookmarks not saved in firefox

Postby chricton » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:49 am

I just installed firefox from the activities page. How nice to have more of the browsing features I am accustomed to. My thanks to all those who worked on this!

Anyway, I noticed two things. They may be related, they may not.
1) When I try to bookmark a website/page, even though firefox goes through the motions, my bookmarks are never really saved. The next time I fire-up the XO or start firefox again, the bookmarks aren't in the list. This may be due to an improper shutdown of firefox? (see the next item)

2) I start firefox from the Home View. I see the firefox activity icon in the circle, then firefox presents itself. If I go back to the Home View now I see the firefox icon (in perpetual "starting..." mode) and a new icon that has an unconnected network shape (simple gray circle). Back in firefox I do what WEB access I need, then Close or Quit the application. Back to the Home View, the gray circle is gone but the perpetually starting firefox icon is still there. At this point I can not stop the "starting" firefox, I can not start firefox again from the Activities list, my only recourse is to shutown and restart the XO (if I want to restart firefox).

Any ideas out there?
chricton

Re: bookmarks not saved in firefox

Postby cuprum » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:14 pm

I recently installed firefox 3. I start it from the command line instead of sugar.
I can stop it using the usual methods.

I do have the bookmarks problem you mention. I backup my bookmarks to a file and they are there when I start next time. (even though I didn't tell firefox to restore)
cuprum

Postby cuprum » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:07 am

The problem went away for me. I do not know why.

I went to http://kb.mozillazine.org/Bookmarks_not_saved

I followed the directions on restoring the "browser.places" settings.

I added a bookmark, and saw that it survived a quit.

I wanted to know which setting it was, so I deleted my .mozillla directory. All the settings are there, right?

Now my bookmarks work just fine, even though I did not re-fix the problem.

Answers, theories and stories appreciated. I'm going to move my cache off the built-in memory. Good luck chricton, this stuff is weird.
cuprum

Postby yorgi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:15 am

chricton wrote:I just installed firefox from the activities page. How nice to have more of the browsing features I am accustomed to. My thanks to all those who worked on this!
1) When I try to bookmark a website/page, even though firefox goes through the motions, my bookmarks are never really saved. The next time I fire-up the XO or start firefox again, the bookmarks aren't in the list. This may be due to an improper shutdown of firefox? (see the next item)
2) I start firefox from the Home View. I see the firefox activity icon in the circle, then firefox presents itself. If I go back to the Home View now I see the firefox icon (in perpetual "starting..." mode) and a new icon that has an unconnected network shape (simple gray circle). Back in firefox I do what WEB access I need, then Close or Quit the application. Back to the Home View, the gray circle is gone but the perpetually starting firefox icon is still there. At this point I can not stop the "starting" firefox, I can not start firefox again from the Activities list, my only recourse is to shutown and restart the XO (if I want to restart firefox).
Any ideas out there?

I have the same trouble. Tried to follow steps provided in previous post, but still my bookmarks aren't saved. Does anybody know how to solve this?
yorgi

Postby Jaime17 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:50 am

chricton wrote:I just installed firefox from the activities page. How nice to have more of the browsing features I am accustomed to. My thanks to all those who worked on this!

Any ideas out there?

Glad to hear that that you accustomed more of the browsing features. It was actually nice!
Hmmm... I will take a research about it.

Postby hazelir » Sat May 30, 2009 3:52 am

How can I give Firefox longer to open websites? When I try to open some websites I sometimes fail, because Firefox stops me from doing this if they take more than ten seconds to open. I believe I can change the settings to give Firefox longer to open websites, but I can't work out how to do it. Can anyone help?
hazelir

Return to Tips, Tricks & Tutorials