Disable active corners

Share uncovered secrets, useful notes, guides and hacks!

Disable active corners

Postby fciron » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:01 pm

I got this tweak from Phil Bourdelon (sp?) while I was lurking in the #olpc-help IRC channel.

To keep the frame from popping up when you move the mouse into the corner of the screen place hash marks (#)in front of lines 56 and 57 in /usr/share/sugar/shell/view/frame/eventarea.py

The hash mark makes the line a 'comment' which means it is not executed when the file is run. This is the preferred method of tweaking system files because it is easily undone (by deleting the hash marks.)

The frame can still be activated using the frame button on the upper right of the keyboard.

Modifying system files is done in the terminal application using Vi, a text eitor. I opened this Vi tutorial in the Browse Activity for reference http://math.la.asu.edu/vi_tutorial/vi3.html
fciron

Postby Phil » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:33 pm

It's Phil_Bordelon. Close enough. -grin-

I should point out that this particular trick did not originate with me; I believe that xoxoxo over at the OLPCNews forum figured it out, after poking around more with the solution I did come up with.
Phil
Support Team

Postby fciron » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:35 pm

Corrected spelling and attribution.

I hope I at least got the tip right :-)
fciron

For us non-geeks

Postby jay » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:28 pm

Could someone perhaps post lines 56 and 57. For the modest editing that I do, I'm not conversant in vi, and I have no idea how to number the lines, or even count them (for example, do I include lines for comments at the beginning, or blank lines?)

Thanks.
jay

Re: For us non-geeks

Postby Phil » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:13 am

jay wrote:Could someone perhaps post lines 56 and 57. For the modest editing that I do, I'm not conversant in vi, and I have no idea how to number the lines, or even count them (for example, do I include lines for comments at the beginning, or blank lines?)

Thanks.

Just hit :56 in vi whenever you're not in edit mode; it'll jump to that line.

That said, lines 56 and 57 are:

Code: Select all
        invisible.connect('enter-notify-event', self._enter_notify_cb)
        invisible.connect('leave-notify-event', self._leave_notify_cb)
Phil
Support Team

Postby jay » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:53 am

Thanks. Both for the editing tip and the line identification.

I knew there was a reason not to give up on Santa. :D
jay

Postby fciron » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:44 am

also, for extra piece of mind, you can turn on line numbering

:set nu
fciron

Postby isforinsects » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:35 pm

This will be added to sugar-control-panel at some point: http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5629

I tend to prefer nano for things like this, vi is a little powerful. And I believe that nano is included.
isforinsects
Support Team

Postby phigan » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:11 pm

isforinsects wrote:I tend to prefer nano for things like this, vi is a little powerful. And I believe that nano is included.

Every time I use Nano, or Notepad or Word or I guess anything, I always end up with a bunch of h's, j's, k's, and l's all over the place.. and I find myself pressing Escape a lot. :?
phigan
Support Team

Postby mchenetz » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:11 am

in vi you can do, ":56" or , ":57". Without hte quotes. This will bring you to the right line. I would like to modify the python script to just add a delay before it pops up.

Mike
mchenetz

Postby akamaya » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:15 pm

thanks for the tweak. i was able to disable the corners. and it'sso much more satisfying this way.

olpc should consider it the default in the future.
akamaya

Postby Molly » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:24 am

Thank you for this. The active corners really confuse my 5 year old.
Molly

Powerof

Postby phiggins » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:05 am

It looks like after you make this change, you have to poweroff and power on for it to become affective.
Paul
phiggins

Restart Sugar

Postby fciron » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 am

It should not be necessary to power off the computer. You can restart Sugar, the graphical user interface, by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Erase.
fciron

Re: Disable active corners

Postby KayTi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:25 am

Can someone provide the exact step-by-step for this fix?

1. Launch terminal activity (usually have to scroll to the right in the activities. It has a rectangle with a dollar sign in it - $)
2. Type su (do you need SU on this fix?)
3. Type some stuff that will help you comment out these two lines of code that make the frame appear when you mouse to the corners. Someone will hopefully add some detailed steps to do this, as right now I understand the concept of what we're going to do, but don't know how to edit the lines.

Thanks!
KayTi

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks & Tutorials