This is a terrific laptop!

Did you give 1 and get 1? Then share your first experiences with your new XO laptop!

This is a terrific laptop!

Postby jeanna » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:06 pm

I gave one last summer and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to G1G1 this winter.

I got it in 2 days and opened it turned it on and shut it down a lot for a while.

Then my mac needed to be fixed which took 3 weeks. (busy shop) That gave me 3 weeks to learn to use it as my primary computer.

It really works. (except for youtube and other flash websites, of course.)

I was in the middle of an experiment with people on a forum and needed to take pictures of my circuits to show them etc. It turns out that the camera on the xo laptop is better at taking the kind of picture I needed to take, and it was way easier to take the picture, and upload it to the website right from the xo than it had ever been with my camera - to load into the mac - to separate and name the picture - finally upload. The people on that forum know all about it, of course. They commented on the great quality of the pictures.

I am thrilled.

And now for the real adventure, I bought this xo for me so I can learn linux. First I will reinstall or is it reflash the most updated 8.2 -I guess I have the one just before this.- so, now that my real primary computer is almost up to speed again, I will risk temporary loss with my xo.

Thank you for this opportunity everyone!

jeanna
jeanna

Re: This is a terrific laptop!

Postby sverma » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:40 am

I use the XO as my primary laptop when I travel. It does take some getting used to, but once you get used to it, the convenience of the XO is incredible. It sees so many networks, that I've had to put away my Thinkpad at times and switch over to the XO just so that I can get on to weaker Wi-Fi links. The suspend/resume cycle is also quite impressive. No more shutdown and reboots cycles. Just close it shut and it goes to sleep.

Sameer
sverma

Re: This is a terrific laptop!

Postby jeanna » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:49 pm

sverma wrote:... the XO is incredible. It sees so many networks...

Sameer

Yes, I got a wifi router upgrade from my isp. My mac cannot get on because of encryption stuff I haven't figured out. But, the xo, never fails.

In SF, I wonder if you could mesh? I mean really mesh - the kind without internet connection.I should think there are others within a 1/4 mile that also have xo's.

Wouldn't THAT be a gas?

I upgraded to 8.2 yesterday. My first flash drive got corrupted, somehow, so I started fresh and it went flawlessly. The activities look great. - I am off to play with some of them today.

Do you use flash to see and hear youtube videos? or do you use gnash or something else? I only ask since you said you use xo for your primary computer. (I have a big stack of youtubes to watch since my mac was gone for 3 weeks.

thank you,

jeanna
jeanna

Return to First Impressions