B1G1 !!

Did you give 1 and get 1? Then share your first experiences with your new XO laptop!

B1G1 !!

Postby Shoshana » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:00 pm

I ordered the laptop on Monday from Amazon. It arrived today, just two days later!

Woo hoo! Now let the learning begin. The laptop is for my 5-year-old daughter.

Does anyone know if the 'getting started' manual can be downloaded and printed?

Thanks!

Shoshana
Shoshana

Re: B1G1 !!

Postby culseg » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:57 pm

The manual can be found at http://laptop.org/8.2.0/manual/

First you should look to see what version your XO has by viewing the Control Panel, even if it just arrived!
culseg
Support Team

Postby Shoshana » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:50 pm

Oh, this is going to be a steep learning curve!

I downloaded a 240 page manual from the Wiki this afternoon (before I saw your post telling me to look at the control panel).

Well, I cannot find the control panel. According to the manual, it should be a drop down from the home (control panel, restart, shutdown, register). From the laptop I have, the drop down says (reboot, shutdown, register, and about this XO). when I click on about this XO, it says:

Build: update 1.708
Firmware Q2D16
S/N...

My daughter is only 5, and we did manage to figure out the memorize activity, but that's about all. I did notice differences between the laptop we have and the manual. One other thing that was odd -- the box arrived from amazon and the laptop box inside the large box did not have an intact OLPC seal -- the seal was broken but retaped. The laptop appears to be brand new, and all of the packaging material appeared to be intact. fwiw.

Do you know if I can get instructions for the various activities from the Wiki? They're not in the manual.

Thanks!
Shoshana

Postby garretttttttttt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:07 pm

You actually have to update your software + applications first. I think they come loaded with a really old version of the operating system.

check out this link for the download:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Notes/8.2.0
garretttttttttt

Return to First Impressions