vnc viewer and thumb drive

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

vnc viewer and thumb drive

Postby amosm » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:27 pm

Hi all.

I'm looking for some pointers on A.) using a thumb drive to move files to and from XO and B.) installing a VNC viewer (vinagre, perhaps? others?) on the XO. Any suggestions on where to start. Just unboxed it and I'm a real newbie.

Thanks!

Mark
amosm

Postby peter » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:37 am

For simple file management, try using [url="http://www.olpchelp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79"]midnight commander[/url].

It is a text based GUI. I'm still looking for a real GUI product.
  1. Select either side of the screen to work with. Use the "d" command from the "command" menu to get a directory tree. The USB thumb drive will be in the /media directory.
  2. Select the other side of the screen, and use the "d" command again to help navigate through the directories.
  3. Highlight and copy/move files from the "file" menu.
Not sure about the VNC
Simiya - For Lovers of Caribbean Art
peter

USB troubleshooting

Postby amosm » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:09 pm

I was really asking about how to get stuff to/from a USB device - when I plug in a USB thumb drive into the XO I don't see it show up at the bottom of the Journal app as indicated in the docs. (The USB device "active" light never comes on.)

I thought maybe I needed to install something to make this work. Of course, the reason I was looking to use the thumb drive in the first place was as a way to transport software to install. A classic chicken and egg problem.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting the USB not showing up in Journal issue?
amosm

Postby gyffes » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:17 pm

I found the ability/willingness of the Journal to show the USB (before the machine bombed on me), varied. But, with patience, a few install/removes and giving the machine longer to respond than you would with a 'traditional' lappie/PC, it usually appeared.

BTW, I'm trying something as part of the restore process that needs me to push the MESH key. Anyone got a clue what that is? The laptop.org site has a handy, "what do all those keys do?" page that fails to show/list a MESH key.

Anyone? Anyone?
gyffes

Return to General Questions