problems installing LaTeX in 767

Basic questions about your XO? Or search on top right for related questions.

problems installing LaTeX in 767

Postby green_gregory » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 am

I used to have build 656 installed on my xo, and I had no problem installing LaTeX and evince. I just upgraded to 767, and now LaTeX is gone (so is evince), and some of the dependencies seem to have disappeared. In particular, I get an error message "missing dependency: libpoppler.so.3". I've tried removing and installing poppler to no avail; can anyone tell me how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
green_gregory

Re: problems installing LaTeX in 767

Postby dasdom » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:29 pm

I have the same problem. Any ideas?
dasdom

Postby green_gregory » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:13 pm

Rolling back to 656 seems to have solved the problem, although now it also seems that yum has become unusable, because whenever I try to install something, yum "cannot retrieve repository metadata." Everything worked when I got the xo in Jan. 2008, but things seem to have gone downhill since then.
green_gregory

Postby culseg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:52 pm

Have you looked over these pages and links:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Notes/8.2.0

Generally, you have to re-install programs that are not part of core Activities.

Once you solve this, consider updating these pages for others:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_ideas

On balance, seems better to me to save the data files that are important to you and do a do a 'clean install' and use the latest OS available.
culseg
Support Team

Postby chopa » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:37 pm

I'm having a similar problem with LaTeX and the Libpoppler.so.3 missing dependency. my xo came with 767 but updating doesn't seem to fix the problem. Is downgrading the build the only wy to fix this?
chopa

Postby britt.anderson » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:21 pm

Just trying to refresh this thread. Has anyone found a way to get latex installed on build 767?
britt.anderson

Postby chopa » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:07 am

Haven't gotten it to work yet. I tried installing poppler and poppler utilities. but this doesn't fix the problem. It does look like there is an olpc version of poppler though. I've also tried an older build, 708, but couldn't get things to work. In this build a bunch of my activities like browse stopped working, so I went back to 767 which I otherise like.
chopa

Postby britt.anderson » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:58 pm

I managed to get latex installed under build 767.

I just fiddled around so there may be a much better way to do this.

First, I started with a clean install to rid myself of all my earlier efforts.

Then I added the texlive repos to /etc/yum.repos.d/ (this is the link to the repo: http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/files/te ... xlive.repo)

TexLive is, as far as I can tell, the successor to tetex, so I decided to work with that.

As far as I can tell, what is preventing the install is the reliance on a version of poppler (a library related to pdf) that is earlier than what texlive wants (or tetex). So first, I did a yum remove poppler. This will warn you that you are going to break Evince. I think this will also break the Read activity because it relies on the poppler library.

Then you need to install poppler using the updated version (0.8.7-1.fc9). I could only find an ftp location for the rpm's so I used a different computer to download the rpms of the new poppler and poppler-utils to a usb drive which I plugged into the xo. The location for the rpms is: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 6.rpm.html. You can also find poppler-utils there. After you have the rpm's on your usb and plugged into your xo, you use the terminal, after logging in as root (su -), to switch to the directory where the *.rpm file is and rpm -ivh nameofrpm.rpm. Do this for both poppler and poppler-utils (or at least I did, I didn't test if both are necessary).

Then you can do a yum install texlive and a yum install texlive-latex.

There may be some warnings about missing files, but nothing that killed the install. I was prompted a couple of times, and just said yes.

I don't know if the Read activity can be made to work with the new poppler files, but you can also install yum install xpdf to have a working pdf reader. I also found that yum install vim-enhanced worked fine and gave me a functioning editor, of a smaller and lighter profile than emacs, for editing the .tex files. I was able to process a test file with latex, dvips, ps2pdf.

Good luck.
britt.anderson

Return to General Questions